I am going to try running a pump handle this weekend. Since I have never ran one of these, I am asking for any tips and hints.

So far the plan is 40 braid down to a 3 way swivel. At the swivel I drop 15'' inches to a 1 lb ball with 20lb mono. Then running 30lb floro to the dodger and fly. Then run this out the chute. Am I looking for issues with this????

You can try using a scooter clip to attach your weight and run a longer lead to your flasher or spoon. This way you can take the heavy weight off before you land the fish or you'll have heavy lead spanking your boat and other eqiupment landing fish.

You can try using a scooter clip to attach your weight and run a longer lead to your flasher or spoon. This way you can take the heavy weight off before you land the fish or you'll have heavy lead spanking your boat and other eqiupment landing fish.

Scooter clip??

I have my pump handles set up the same way. Make sure when your setting them that you let them out slowly and stop occasionally. If you let them out to fast they will drop into your rigger lines. After you have it all the way out you can move it all around the boat to make room for netting fish.

Ok thanks the set up info. Now what am I looking for on the rod action, is it going to bounce around a lot or once in a while? Am I supposed to check for the bottom once in a while? I am pretty clueless on this one, I have never seen anyone run the pump handle set up. Thanks for all the input. Maybe I can get a big king this weekend.

Before you send it out put the dodger and fly in the water and take a look at the action you get on the rod tip, then speed up untill the dodger rolls over and you will see the difference in rod action. When the dodger rolls it will be a slower harder bump. Good luck I hope it works out for ya.

If your looking for lakers you could bounce bottom, but if your looking for kings I would not let it skip. If you wanted to let it out and touch bottom every one and a while to get an idea how far off bottom your running that would be fine.