Fished Ludington over the weekend. Our trip started at 9 am on Friday morning leaving home. Got just past Chase and i see smoke rolling off the wheel on the trailer. Pull over and the bearing is toast. So, not knowing where to get any parts in that area i call a towing service. Anyhow, 4 hours later, and not the right stuff, but am on the road again. Check the bearing every 4 miles and regreased every 10. Made it the 40 miles to Ludington. Buddy obtained the right stuff in Kawkawlin and brought it over with his boat when he made the trip Friday night...Thanks Terry and Laura!

So, anyhow, head out Saturday morning and went to the north in like 50' of water. Pretty much never left that area all day. Ended up 8 for 9 in there. Released a small coho, got a couple lakers and the rest were Kings from the mid teens up to 20.7#.

Got our fish on 2,3,5 color lead, 200' of 32# Blood Run copper. Also riggers 25-35' down with long leads. Used standards, super slims and plugs. Green Dolphin, Raspberry Carbon, Silver Flounder, fireball w/earrings, steelie stomper, and an Ace Hi Green Splatter back. North troll was definitely best for us.

Worked hard for our fish on Saturday, so we decided to change it up on Sunday morning. Started strait out. Stopped in 40' and there was fish and bait so we set up. Had a fish hit when i was letting out the 5 color, but it got off pretty quickly. Then nothing until about 60' when i lost a screamer on a 5 color and Raspberry Carbon. Right after we got a nice king on a 5 color with an Ace Hi Green Splatter back. Turned around and went back and the fish were gone. So, we pointed it west and made a troll out to about 150' Changed things up, putting out a spread of 32# Blood run in 200-300' segments and ran short core on the other side. Changed the riggers all over the place, fixed and free sliders, divers, high low and everywhere in between. Doesnt matter much though when you cant find any fish. Hit one steelhead on a free slider with a jawbreaker with the rigger set at 65' over 140' of water. Other than that, it was dead for us. Finished the morning 2 for 4 before heading home. The farther west we went the warmer the water got and the less fish we found. Probably didnt go far enough west...Ah well, thats fishing. Outside the wheel bearing, it was a beautiful weekend on the water and we got some real nice salmon. Cant wait to get back over to the gold coast!

Didnt take many pics, but heres a few from our trip

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

We were way south of Ludington in shallow all weekend and ended up with 21. Made the run deep once with no luck...didn't go far enough either! Talked to my buddy this morning and they were hitting em in the 44's but that will all change after this north blow the next few days. A few mornings short cores were king with spoons then it would change to riggers and wire. Finally started hitting some on rotators.

yeah you had almost an identical weekend as us. We had 9 nice fish on saturday morning also, and it sounds like we were in the same water. Copper and lead was best for us also. Along with a high diver 100 back with mongolian beef. We also went out saturday night and we went 4 for 7 in the same 50-70 fow as the morning. Great job this weekend and i know we shur had alot of fun.

It looks like it is going to be bumpy this weekend. Huge North wind then switch to huge south wind. That will make for some consistent fishing....NOT!!! I was hoping to make the long run this weekend to get away from the pyschos but I guess not.

last night there were some fish (at least 5 I can gaurentee) at the pierheads but nada this morning (that I could see). I'm sure if you find them in tight it will be a riot. I'm gonna be fishing in there unless I break the pierheads and see small waves then it's drop the hammer and run baby run!!!

I seen a cold pocket SW of Ludington as well. I bet there are some fish in that area. Looked to be near the N 52 W 35 line. I see a bit of cloud cover over that area on the temp page, but it still shows a 60 surface temp there. Was 58 earlier in that same spot when it was clear view.

Buddy stopped over this afternoon...I think people can see the smoke plume when the salmon are in there...but anyhow, he ran over to Ludington to get his boat trailer because he had some work to do on it and stopped in to the loomis cleaning station and he said guys had 3-5 big kings in there and that they were getting them at the harbor mouth. So, theres definitely a few around there.