Pierhead Casting For Kings...........

SkeinMachine

Even though I'm a dedicated,hardcore lake angler,I've always have a place in my heart for pierhead casting.There's nothing like the arm jolting hit from a King.Many factors are involved to be successful,we'll discuss several.

Timing: I generally start in early August,dawn & dusk aswell as throughout the night are peak times(Kings are light sensitive).The best time to go is anytime you can.Early in August,you have to put the hrs in casting,your targeting scouts as we call them,Kings that come in to sniff the outflow from the trib.Fish are usually few & far between,but the ones you hook are rockets,200 + yrd runs are common.As a added bonus,this early in the month,there's little no no angling pressure,unlike later in the month & into September.

Weapons of choice: I prefer a med-heavy action rod,in the 10 1/2 ft length for casting(St.Croix wild river series),with 8-10 lb mono(Suffix aswell as Maxima Ultra Green are favs-low stretch lines aid in good hook sets).Others prefer braid,it's a personal preference.I use a number of different reels,including Okuma,Daiwa,Abu Garcia(4000 size reels provide enough line capacity).Purchase a quality reel,the drag system is very important as lesser reels wont hold up to repeated smokin' runs.

Retrieves: This can make you or break you.At times the Kings want a steady retrieve,other times a slow crawl.I've found the warmer the water(70 F +),the slower the fish want it.The spoon has to wobble while being retrieved,not spinning(same as downrigging).A pause once or twice during the retrieve works wonders some nights(Kings are notorious for following lures,the pause makes the lure flutter or stall right in their face).The hit is subtle,usually just a tick or a light bump-set the hook).Also they'll grab the lure and come towards you,creating slack in the line,again you feel instant slack,set the hook!!

Charging them up: With all the glo spoons on the market,one thing remains the same.Don't overcharge your lure,making it too bright(unless casting into stained/murky water,then it can be a good thing).Casting into clear water calls for a subtle glo(a black light or flashlight works well).A rookie mistake is hitting the spoon with a full force camera flash,you can see the halo from the glo, 5 ft around the spoon as it comes in.Remember Kings are light sensitive,a little glo goes a long way.How many times have the Kings been hitting while making your 4th or 5th cast with a glo spoon,after charging it up?A pattern is developing,they want it toned down a bit.By using a flashlight or blacklight you can have immediate success,without wasting the first couple casts until the glo fades.

Rattlers & plugs: Rattle Traps,Rattlin Spots,Rattlin Raps,Canadian Wigglers,etc are dynamite casting lures in mid Sept through October.One tip is to add a 12 inch(barrel swivel to cross lock)20-30 lb mono shock leader.Without a shock leader on the crank baits,Kings seem to cut you off on the hit.Doesn't happen with spoons,just the rattlers.Again,a slow steady retrieve is better than burning it in.Bright colors work well on those cranky,staged fish.The longer the fish hold off the pierhead(weeks without rain are prime),the better they'll perform.At times,the fish will take the lure as it falls(we call it on the drop,so we count the lure down with a tight line after the cast is made.Been many nights when that's the only way they'll hit.

Sharp Hooks: Always touch up new hooks on your lures,their never sharp enough out of the package.

Paying attention to details can turn just a night casting to kill a couple hrs into a arm wrenching,shoulder aching experience.

100-0007_IMG.JPG

100-0011_IMG.JPG

100-0014_IMG.JPG

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Article Skienmachine.

There's nothing like the arm jolting hit from a King.

Now just imagine the arm jolting action in the current current of the Niagara river. I guess that is why I like fishing the river as much as I do.