All:

about 2 miles south of Saugy in 72' there's a detergent bottle (blue, of course) tied off to something on the bottom. Not sure whose dumb-@$$ idea this is, but we about ran a copper and wire diver through it- my crew jumped on the rods and got them clear even though we could feel the wire dragging on the rope.

Did not get a waypoint, but it didn't look like it was going any where.

There was a blue barrel tied off to something north of south haven a couple weeks ago. Had the samething happen to me but the rigger swiped it instead. Even brought in what looked to be an old iv bag or something medical bag. Its always interesting to see what floats around out there.

Stupid divers. Why can't they just use GPS like we do for marking fishing spots?

I do (although most days I don't consider myself stupid), but some don't own them. I agree though, if that is a wreck, it should be better marked than a small detergent bottle.

The marker north of south haven is the rockaway ship wreck. It use to be a white barrel. I haven't seen it in a while but its possible that its a blue barrel now. My buddy from work hit it about a month ago.

Stupid divers. Why can't they just use GPS like we do for marking fishing spots?

Let me rephrase. Not all divers are stupid. Just the ones that pollute the water with dangerous markers.

We do but there is typically a better mooring bouy attached to the wrecks. Some morons like to cut them off and then when a dive boat goes out they have to find the wreck using sonar then try to get stopped right over it anchored which is next to impossible send a diver down to find the wreck so that divers can get down to the wreck safely and find it. let alone a saftey ascent line as they are used for, and reattache the mooring line because some moron cut the bouy off, and then use what ever they have onboard to hold that line up there till they can get back out with a better mooring bouy. So its not polluting with a dangerous marker.

Is there some rule about marking them correctly? Like maybe similar to how nets are market with a vertical marker so you can see them from a long way off?

I think that is the biggest issue - them sneaking up on your and then tearing off a bunch of your gear.

Is there some rule about marking them correctly? Like maybe similar to how nets are market with a vertical marker so you can see them from a long way off?

I think that is the biggest issue - them sneaking up on your and then tearing off a bunch of your gear.

They are usually marked with a mooring bouy like sailboats use excepy with a dive flag painted on them marking them as a dive site.

Most newer GPS units have all the great lakes wrecks marked on them like in the last 7 years or so. also the mapping software has the wrecks on them. Some units you have to turn on the feature to show ship wrecks. I know my old eagle seacharter i had to go into the setting and manually turn on the shiwreck markers. I was using the lake master chip. I also know ray marine and hummingbirds newer units are capable of this just not sure how to set it up as a couple of the dive boats have those brand units on them.

Kevin glad you didnt loose anything and thanks for the warning. While i have never dove that site personally i have done a ton of diving on other wrecks around the great lakes. Here some info on the rockaway and i think that is what you got tangled in looking at this site:

http://www.michiganshipwrecks.org/rockaway.htm

Here are the numbers on the wreck:

N 42° 26.553"

W 086° 18.400"

Just off South Haven harbor

70' deep