leadcore down the shute?

My fishing partner and I have a full, 7, and 5 core now, so if we want to run one out the back with no board can we only put as many colors as we want down or do we have to let all the core out? We are wondering this for later this month and september when the fish are shallower, with out have to spend another 300 bucks for a 3 or 4 color setup. Thanks in advance for any input

Wouldn't do it. Running the core still in the rod will wear it out. Have done it before, but decided I was pushing my luck and quit. You can splice mono between the segments and attach a board, but you will have sag in the line.

I personally don't run core or copper down the shoot because I worry about a fish getting into it. Maybe it is just me, but the extra line out is not worth the potential disaster that is bound to come my way.

Agreed with kyle, anything in the chute an accident waiting to happen. Why not swing it out on a board? And no need to spend 300 bucks on a leadcore setup, my board rods are 25 dollar 8 foot shimanos, reels are 35 dollar okumas and a full core is what 15 to 20 bucks.

http://www.coldwatertackle.com/sufix-performance-lead-core-fishing-line Heres the price on suffix full core.

i dont run a full, if I need more depth I add a snapweights, I dont want to reel anymore than I have to when resetting.

Ok , what kinda okuma reels do you use? I am useing the convectors right now I like the cranking power with all the line out, but makes sence to not need one so powerful on smaller cores . What length copper would be good for september and august fishing? 150? 200? Thanks u guys for the info, I'm just getting into this addicting salmon fishing

August and September usually have a fair amount of warm water so you may want to look at some longer coppers to get you down deeper, like a 300. Unfortunately the longer coppers require a more money to set up, probably a 55 series Okuma.

For my short cores I have Okuma Classic XPS (???) in the 45 series. They work fine for as much as I use them. As far as running a core down the center, I did last weekend when I forgot one of my sets of boards and I wanted to run an additional long line but I wouldn't recommend running anything too long because you know if I get a fish on another rod that core is coming in hot so that we don't get it tangled with another fish.

My short cores are on Okuma magda pro 30s. Fleet farm specials, or any sporting goods store.

Heres the specs. MA-30DX 2BB

510/15, 420/20, 310/25

4.0:1

24"

17-lbs

17.3 oz.

49.99 ( I find them every year for 35 bucks, i think there 42 regular at fleet farms in WI

They hold my 2, 5, and 7 colors just fine and plenty of backing with 20 pound mono.

In the 1950's my grandfather ran leadcore when he was trolling for trout in Washington state, he would mark the core with different colors of paint to make it easier to count how much lead core was out he ran straight out the 2 sides of a small boat , trolled with a Martin 5hp motor and caught lots of fish. When he went to Puget Sound he did the same for Salmon and caught them too. To answer your question YES u can run as much or as little as u want down the chute. The big issue is how many lines do u want cluttering up the middle of the transom.

Swap meet, pair of Heartland rods, $30.

Garage sale, three (3) Daiwa 47H reels, $30.

Spool of 20# Big Game, $8.

Spool of core, $12.

2 and 3 color cores working all year, yep.

I don't think you need to drop that much coin, but my short cores are some of my best rods, so I would set them up. If you have a 5, I would go with a 2 and 3.

Never have core at a rod tip. Just a matter of time before it breaks.

I like to keep the chute clear. If you happen to hit multiple fish with that core down the chute chances are that core will get tangled. This is especially important in low light conditions when it tough to see just what is going on as a fish makes a run.:)

Well im not like most, i do like a long core or copper down to chute. i weave the core threw it with out problems. i have a big fish on yea ill pull it, other than than i got one down the chute, if it takes one fish in a charter then i got one more in the box than if i didnt. i like 10 or 300 coppers, depending where the fish are. i do like one in the harbor to.....

I bet that wide beam on the Killin Time makes running that copper in the chute a bit easier too lol. During the morning bite in Sturgeon Bay I will run copper down the chute because running more than one board per side is just asking for trouble.

When i have guys on my boat that know what they are doing I almost always run a 10 color down the chute. I would only be comfortable doing it with a tall rocket launcher though. The tip of my LC rod is probably 14-15' off of my deck and gives plenty of room. This has been my best rod in superior and in michigan with a purple plaid protroll 8" prochip pulling a big water tackle purple haze meat rig. For some reason we never pull shakers off of this rig either.