Depth raider?

My down speed is always slower than my gps speed no matter which direction I troll. I'm concerned that I'm experiencing enough blow back that the wheel is not parallel water flow. I am running it on it's own rigger with out any thing else on it to try to minimize blow back. What pound ball should I be using?

You can always run a heavier ball, but that will also increase the odds of something breaking. Most use a 10 or 12 lb ball I think. Of course option B would be to just pay attention to what speed works on it and be consistent with it. If you catch fish at a 2.2 ball speed, 2.7 SOG, who cares if they are different, just match it! Also, you shouldn't have to designate a rigger to the probe and not put a rod on it! If you are going to send that extra noise, cable, ball through the water, you might as well have a set of hooks dragging behind it.

I've been running a depth raider for 5 years now and its a great tool. I found out quickly though that comparing 'down speeds' with other guys never seemed to work so hot. The different brands show different speeds, and Fishhawks you can actually calibrate to make it read how you want it to--so those guys may have a way different speed. I actually like the fact that a depth raider is not able to calibrate. If you compare notes with another guy who has a depth raider you'll be speaking the same language everytime. Everyone I've talked to with a depth raider says 1.8-2.2 at the ball is the target speed. Lately 2.1 has been best for us.

I also use 14lb balls.

We run a Depth Raider and Love It. I generally like a little more speed to keep the greasers away. We like to run 2.4 to 2.9 at the ball using 14 pound balls. Don't be afraid to go a bit faster. Some of our best days in the scum lines we run 3.1 plus and have some fun with the Kings and Steelies!