I,ve been seein alot of people talk about the SWR personally i,ve never heard of one untill i joined GLF "By the way i LOVE this place:thumb:" anyway i put two of them together just now with two colors on each i was just wondering if there was any thing i need to know about these before putting them down i know i attach the release to the backer, so do i just run these as i would a regular dr rod other than that?

Yep u got it 1 or 2 colors of lead, bottom rigger and hang on it runs 6 to 8 ft below the ball and can be a real killer when fish are spooked by the cannonball. I use about 50' of 20# fluorocarbon leader,(do not use the regular line, use the leader matl). If u run paddles keep them on the opposite side of the boat, or run on the SWR. I like to run Plugs or spoons on it.

What is a swr? Sorry my first year salmon fishing, so I want to learn all I can. Thanks

Check out the earlier posts in this thread, but basically it is a 1 or 2 color of leadcore run on the deepest rigger in your spread. It is ok to run a stacker above the rig just keep it short. I do not however recommend running sliders on an SWR.

Check out the earlier posts in this thread, but basically it is a 1 or 2 color of leadcore run on the deepest rigger in your spread. It is ok to run a stacker above the rig just keep it short. I do not however recommend running sliders on an SWR.

Thanks bud that was another question i was going to ask today "the slider":thumb:

we have been running a slider on our SWR and its been working great. I would say our SWR catches about 2 to 1 compared to our other rigger

I'm curious how you do this. It seems to me that it would be an extremely long slide before the fish on a slider could reach the end and be into the rod. My other concern was the slide down the core and possible damage to it. If anything special needs to be done let us know. I learn something new every day. Thanks

If your going to run a slide above the swr, use a big swivel so it will not hang out on your leadcore to mono know when sliding down the line. Yes the fish will have to slide a long ways before being all the way back to the main cannonball lure, reel fast!

I run long leads and yes sometimes you loose one while the lure slide, but at lease you have a chance. I would like to think its more about if they hooked up to start with, than the sliding factor.

Well guys i ran the swr for the first time this am i went 3 for 4 with two of the fish caught on the swr and the missed hit was swr so two for 3 on that rod:thumb::thumb: usually get most my action on dipsys but they were dead today, Big thanks for all your help on the SWR goin back out tonight to try it again

I have never stacked above a SWR but in theory it's probably possible. I would NEVER run a slider on a SWR.

I run sliders on my SWR all of the time, just as long as I'm only running a spoon at the ball. I know of guys who run a fixed slider with a spin doctor, but I'm not that brave.

Here's another ?. A 2 color swr is 60', has anyone tried using a 50' or 75' short copper as their swr? Just doing alot of thinking right now for the future when I get my own boat.;):D Also why couldn't you run a snap weight on the rigger line before putting in the release to get the same results?

Here's another ?. A 2 color swr is 60', has anyone tried using a 50' or 75' short copper as their swr? Just doing alot of thinking right now for the future when I get my own boat.;):D Also why couldn't you run a snap weight on the rigger line before putting in the release to get the same results?

I think you could do either, I have never tried, but I always thought that lead has a certain cadence in the water that made it dance. Plus lead is cheaper than the above metioned alteratives.

I think you could do either, I have never tried, but I always thought that lead has a certain cadence in the water that made it dance. Plus lead is cheaper than the above metioned alteratives.

I agree with this. Also, lead is much more user friendly than copper. You can literally run anything you want off of a rigger, a SWR rig is usually 2-3 colors but you can also run 5,7, 10 colors off of your rigger when the fish are deep and/or really boat shy.