Speed

I've read a lot of the different posts on speed but Sat. night out of GH I am on a south troll and catch a king at 2.8 on the gps. I turn and go north thru the same area without touching the throttle and I am going 2.2 (the lake was calm) and feel like we are standing still. With no probe if I catch a fish at 2.8 should I stay at that speed no matter the direction?

I am not sure on the whole blowback thing and how current effects the speed at the ball besides sometimes it is faster and sometimes slower. How do you tell with no probe? Maybe I am making this more complicated than it has to be but would like to catch more than one fish each trip to keep the kids interested.

Dazed and confused, Dave

Without a probe you can watch your dipsey rods and look at the bend they have, another way is the hum of rigger cable in the water, and another is if you look at your rigger line it will have bubbles off the back of the cable about 3/4 and inch long and go by that even though the lake is calm there is always a current watch your rods you can tell which way it is going, rigger cable etc.... We fished along time without a probe and somedays i wish we didnt have it, but try to keep gps speed at that 2.6 to 2.8 and watch the rods if the start bendin bad slow down a bit, and if they are limp speed up.... hope that helps

Edited by bmsstp4u
spelling error

There was a surface current out of the North this weekend. We had the same thing in Muskegon. I try to hit 2.8- 3.0 sog regardless of currents.

To answer your question about last weekend, then yes I would have bumped the sog up to 2.6-2.8.

Keep in mind this though. You caught a fish going South at 2.8. Instead of turning to go back to where you where, try staying at that depth and continue going South. Unless there are big pods of bait, often the trolling direction is more important than the area.

Good idea. Thanks for the advice. Next time out I try sliders for the first time and more attention to speed, currents, and direction.

More questions to follow...

Thanks again.

Dave. all the guys here gave great info., and so, follow it as close as possible. It's also interesting, as some have said, to watch your lines and see how they run, long or short, and whether they are straining long. Slow down then, or otherwise, speed up, according to under-currents. best to buy a Fish Hawk to tell the exact situation for sure, great fishing tool.