Leadcore service life and shelf life

1. What is the normal service life of leadcore?

2. What is the warning signs of leadcore when it has reached the end of its life?

3. Shelf life of unused leadcore that is properly stored?

4. Any helpful tips on being kind to the leadcore?

Any advice is always welcome and appreciated! :thumb:

The biggest problem with leadcore is getting kinks in the core, that weakens the line and can cause real issues. To store it u should store as you would Mono, in a dark cool place. My Grandfather used leadcore in the 1940's and 1950's every year he would stretch the line out and re tie the leader he never had an issue with the line going bad. To stretch the line out u can use an old clothesline the kind with 2 T poles and just wrap the core around both keeping it tight and then checking for bad spots in the core. if the core is broken or kinked really bad cut it out and us a willis knot to splice in a piece of mono, or make it into shorter cores.

I have been using the same core for a few years now, I think this will be year 3 or 4 without issue, knock on wood. When I am done fishing all of my rods and reels go into the garage and the drags backed off all the way. I will go thru and retie all connections. Over the course of the past few years I have cut core and made different segments when it was convenient. So I am in need of a new full core and looking for a 300' copper. The only time that my lines stay out in the sun is when we are on the boat for a weekend. Now this is just my experience and others maybe different.

I had a couple this year, on their third season, just break off, not even with a fish on it. Don't think they were kinked, but can't say for sure. I replaced both. Of course, then I lost the new 10 color when the backer broke just above it.:mad: At least I lost that one to a fish.