Lookin for new copper and lead core setups

Hey all,

Im looking to expand my setup. I usually run 2 riggers 2 dipsys a copper and a lead.

My problem right now is I only have a full core and a 300' 32lb copper.

Im looking to get a new reel with copper and a new reel with lead.

What size of each should i go with? Any idea on how much each is going to set me back?

This is what i have and love these set-ups. For my full cores i have the okuma 45d convectors back them with a little mono then 200yds braid then your leadcore and leader. For my 300 coppers i have the shimano tekota 800's this is the smoothest reel i have ever used. For the rod for the copper i use the shimano talora rod with the stainless eyes. The copper likes to eat anything with ceramic eyes. Not sure on the okuma reels but the shimano tekotas are going to run you about $200 and the shimano talora rods about $100. Another thing if i where you i would use the 45# copper instead of the 30#. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Hey all,

Im looking to expand my setup. I usually run 2 riggers 2 dipsys a copper and a lead.

My problem right now is I only have a full core and a 300' 32lb copper.

Im looking to get a new reel with copper and a new reel with lead.

What size of each should i go with? Any idea on how much each is going to set me back?

Problem with your current setup is that the full core and 300' of 32lb copper are basically the same rod. Yes, the copper will go a little deeper, but not that much. Focus on getting adding stuff to your arsenal that will diversify your spread. Normally, I'd suggest adding a 300' of 45lb copper, but we haven't had to fish that deep this year. You may want to go with some shorter segments of copper or a 5 or 7 color leadcore.

If you are going for the 300' 45 Cu, are probably looking at a minimum of $125 for the rig, including backer, Cu, rod, reel, etc. That would be a minimum with the cheapest rod/reel combo, you can easily spend $100+ on just the reel. Okuma Classic Pro GLT copper/core rods with stainless guides are a pretty nice value, we just added them to our spread this year. You can find them for $35-40. You don't have to break the bank on a rod, but if you have the cash, spend it on the reel IMO.

I would get a reel that would hold around 330 yards of 20 lb mono and use it with 3 colors of lead and it would serve double duty as a swr on a rigger. For the other rod I would get a reel like a 45 series Okuma or 330 series Penn and put either 5 colrs of lead or 75 ft of 45 lb copper. Get a couple of dive bombs or torpedo divers and you now have all you will need for deeper or shallower rigs.

I don't run any full cores (widow makers). If you run 3 to 5 cores you can run them shallow or off the riggers or weigh them down with torpedo divers to go beyond the depth of the core by itself. I find these more versitile and you don't need reels for every size of leadcore.

On my boat I currently run 3,5,7, and 10 colors of lead and a 300' copper (not sure what size, whatever the standard is that Lakeshore Outfitters in Saugy sells). I would defiantly recommend adding a 5 color, as mine has taken quite a few of the fish this year and it will work year round (mine has been catching feisty steelhead lately). Other than that, I would add another Copper set up, maybe a 250 or 350? I don't really know, trying to decide myself what my next copper should be. You can put together a budget 5 color leadcore combo for ~ $100 or you can spend more that that on the reel, it really depends on what you are looking for. I have some cheaper combos and I like them but I only use them 1-2 times a week.

I think what you are asking is what to add and where to get it.

Bretts place on the bay can set you up about a cheap as anywhere if you want to wait. If you don't want to wait and you want to look at what you are buying, go see Aaron at Lakeshore Outfitters in Saugatuck. I personally fish Okuma Convector series, but you can easily get a Pro series cheaper and depending on the number of trips it will do the job.

I concur with many on the site. If I only had full core, I would add a 7, 5 or 3 color first, before I added copper.

If you do decide to go copper, I would not run anything smaller than a 55L series okuma convector (not as nice as 800 tekota by a long shot, but not as spendy either).

Yes i guess my post was misleading.

Im not replacing my full core or copper, Im asking what new ones i should get?

Should i go with 2 more cores? Say a 5 color and a 3 color? or a 7 color instead of the 3?

Or should i get a short copper? Theres jus so many possibilities my heads spinning.

on a side note, does swr rigs make a big difference in your guys catch? or jus bout the same as a regular rigger? Ive only got 2 riggers on my boat wondering if a swr would be worth it?

One of our most effective setups is our 250' 32# Blood Run. It will get you 50' down. Aaron at Lake Shore Outfitters just set 3 of them up for my brother and another friend. He used Okuma Copper Line rods, Convector 45s with 300' of braid, 250' of 32#, and 30' of fluorocarbon. Total cost was around $130 each +-.

He used Okuma Copper Line rods, Convector 45s with 300' of braid, 250' of 32#, and 30' of fluorocarbon. .

Only 300' of backer? That seems a little light IMO. If the board is 50-100' out, that doesn't leave you much room for a big king to make a run. I would recommend going with a bare minimum of AT LEAST 150 yards of backer. Any less than that and you are going to be puckered up a little bit when that elusive 30lb king hits, sinks the board, and rips off 200' of line.

I would go with a 7 color and a 5 color lead setup. You can use any reel for these, along with any rod. I've taken alot of fish with these, and can add dive bombs to get down deeper. Copper seems to be a PIA with my boat always having newbies on it, and I can get close to copper depth with dive bombs.

Yes i guess my post was misleading.

Im not replacing my full core or copper, Im asking what new ones i should get?

Should i go with 2 more cores? Say a 5 color and a 3 color? or a 7 color instead of the 3?

Or should i get a short copper? Theres jus so many possibilities my heads spinning.

I'd start by adding rods that will be far from what you already own. In other words, have big gaps in depth achieved. So if it were me, I'd go with a 5 color or 300' of 45lb copper.

well here is the set up 300 45# copper, Tackle Haven has a web site and sell a Okuma reel covector 55 pre spooled with the copper for 119.00 and the Okuma copper rod for 32.00 . This is the best price i could find. this will get you down 70 to 90ft. Hope this helps:thumb:

Only 300' of backer? That seems a little light IMO. If the board is 50-100' out, that doesn't leave you much room for a big king to make a run. I would recommend going with a bare minimum of AT LEAST 150 yards of backer. Any less than that and you are going to be puckered up a little bit when that elusive 30lb king hits, sinks the board, and rips off 200' of line.

Oops, I meant 600'. Sorry.

If you follow dirty dogs postings at all he is constantly taking fish on 150,200,250 32# blood run copper with various spoons. IMO, any of those would be a fine addition...As far as reel size, heres a few references. I put 200 yds of 40# power pro and 200' of 32# BL on a Daiwa 47 size reel. Fits about perfectly. I have a 250' on a Penn 330 with the same backer and then a 300' 32# on a 700 tekota. I have a 300' 45# on a 340 with 300 yds of 50# Power Pro.