Which is better? St. Joe or South Haven?

Looking at relocating to the westside of the state and my 2 options are south haven or st. Joe. I really haven't spent a lot of time at either city or fishing out of these ports, and time will isn't going to allow me to figure this out or see on my own. Any helpful insight from fisherman about what port they like better and why? Also, any insight on the communities and area of each town would be great. Trying to get a few fishermen's perspective as well people that live there. Thanks

I like South Haven better just because the St Joe/Benton Harbor area has more crime usually. South Haven is hit hard with tourists and on weekends during the summer it is a good idea to get off the water before the pleasure boats come. I think the fishing is about the same, the perch fishing has been real hot in SH lately.

i live in indiana, and dont fish either right now. but i fished both places when i did fish. there were times when st joe would have alittle better fishing, but on a day to day i always liked south haven much much better. it got to where we didnt even go to st joe, we did all our summer fishing in south haven. now spring time was anothe story. new buffalo was our spring spot, as soon as the ice was gone.

as for the area itself, its south haven all over again. we all just love south haven. to me it just seemed much cleaner, and the people were always friendly. i dont mean to put st joe down either, its still a great place. but you asked us to compare it to south haven. either place would be a good place to live for a person who fishes. and the st joe river has some great walleye and cat fishing. but i,ll take south haven. hope this helps.

sherman

I worked in South Haven for 6 years. St. Joe may have the edge on the fishery, but SoHa as always been a sleeper port in my opinion. St. Joe also has more stores / restuarants, and SH is crazy in the summer and a ghost town in the winter.

I would give SJ a nod for fishing, but as a package deal SH hands down.

Benton Harbor can be a little scary too. I lived in Flint for 5 years so that's old hat to me, but if you're not used to urban blight.....

Stay outta my SH!!:P I enjoy less people even if the fishing is not as spectacular. Ive done pretty well there and always remember Best Chance saying" if u can catch fish in the South Haven desert then u can slay em anywhere."

The ride out is much shorter than Joe if u trailer. Cleaning station at launch although they have issues with season permits this year.

Best part... I dont have too utilize my CPL in south haven. Wont fish st joe without it.:eek:

Just dont tell everyone as i enjoy not fighting to fish.:)

Just my .02

• 1 month later...