Is there a better way to find out lake conditions?

My 12 y/o son wanted to take his best friend fishing. Looked at the weather reports on-line, on TV. The marine forecast for today at 04:56 (am) was waves 0 to 1 foot. Get there and they are 4-6 easy. What can I do different (better) so I dont waste my time and my $$. :confused:

Best thing I've found to save my gas money is going to an Aviation sight for your port and looking at the winds. Within 24 hrs this seems to be the most accurate forecast I have found. The key is knowing which winds and at what speed makes your port unfishable. I gave up on NOAA years ago.

YA, you get sick of this after a while.

We check NOAA, check the web cams, check intellicast.com (best weather site I have found), and check the flags at the marina when you launch (and some on the way to the launch).

Intellicast has some great wind modeling features and hourly forecasting information that I have found helpful.

If NOAA says 1-2 and Intellicast has W wind 10-15mph, I normally trust Intellicast.

That being said, I've gone out and turn around because they were too big; and also not gone out and went to the beach later to see a flat pond.

Sometimes you just never know.

i use weatherunderground. Its usually right. Along with marine webcams and airport readings. You gotta take it all into consideration, and look at the radar all across the pond to get an idea.

YA' date=' you get sick of this after a while.

We check NOAA, check the web cams, check intellicast.com (best weather site I have found), and check the flags at the marina when you launch (and some on the way to the launch).

Intellicast has some great wind modeling features and hourly forecasting information that I have found helpful.

If NOAA says 1-2 and Intellicast has W wind 10-15mph, I normally trust Intellicast.

That being said, I've gone out and turn around because they were too big; and also not gone out and went to the beach later to see a flat pond.

Sometimes you just never know.[/quote']

I have become a BIG fan of Intellicast this past year. This seems to be best but a storm or good ole ma nature will do as she wishes. I too have had to turn back after driving out. Its just part of the game. New buoy in St Joe has/will be helpful to us souther lk fishermen. Use all the tools u can and get a friend that lives by/on the lake to give a hands on report:grin:

checking the wind speed and wave height at the mid lake buoy http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45007 is also a great help. watch the radar across the pond, like last Sat am NOAA had 0-1 but a big green/yellow/red blob was at the buoy and the wind was already gusting to 30+. we call off at 4am from home. and from what was posted later in the day 4-7 footers we made the right call. Sunday was a much better day on the lake.

here is another good link. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=42.787339&lon=-87.132568&zoom=7&type=h&status=r&pgm=&op=&ls=false

also if you have a smart phone search for marine forcast in the market place. I can check this same map with a weater radar overlay right from the boat to see if anything that is moving in is worth pulling lines and running in.