Biting Flys

Anybody know of a good repellant for keeping those damn black biting flys away? :mad:The little suckers have a "bite" that hurts like hell, and they really seem to swarm you when you're fighting a fish. I was told Skin So Soft with Picardin from Avon, but have yet to try it. Anyone have something better?

I'm superstitious about using any of that stuff on the boat around the baits. I'm just crazy though, ask my wife!

I know , don't get near any grear with sunscreen , bug spray, etc, blood and fish guts is ok.

Ive heard guys using their Thermacells with some success. I cannot confirm nor deny its effectiveness

I've tried the Thermocell, but the problem I had was breeze. The wind would blow the "smoke" away, and make them useless.

yea and they seem to target the lower legs, little suckers are trying to take you down, somthing with deet should do it.

I know it's some sort of acidic liquid they use to disolve their food (i.e. your skin), but they feel like they have teeth like piranhas.

I usually wear a long sleeve shirt and blue jeans and a 6 inch high shoe. While dressed like this I invite people who wear t shirts, shorts, and flip flops. For the the most part the flies are attracted to the invited bait, and I can go about my business.

yea, they've been horrible the past couple times out so last night I finally broke down and wore jeans. Being a little warm definitely beats slapping flies all night.

We have been using a mix of Ivory dish soap and water. It does seem to work but frequent reapplication is necessary (every 1-2 hours depending on how bad you sweat).

A light pant designed for fishing such as offered by Cabelas and Columbia keeps your legs cool and fly free. As a bonus they zip off into shorts.

I usually wear a long sleeve shirt and blue jeans and a 6 inch high shoe. While dressed like this I invite people who wear t shirts, shorts, and flip flops. For the the most part the flies are attracted to the invited bait, and I can go about my business.

:lol::lol::lol: