Lake Trout

shu9265

How do you guys prepare Lake Trout for the table ?

DO you smoke it ?

Grill it?

Put it on a pine board, bake, and then throw away the fish and eat the board ?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Learned a long time ago from an old lady how to pan ftr lake trout. You have to use cast iron skillets as the newer metals just dont get hot enough. put oil in the pan just high enough to cover half the fillets. turn the heat to high. when you splash a little water and it pops and sizzles its almost there. When you can throw a wood match in and the match lights then goes out the grease is ready. Bread dont batter the filets as the breading will let the grease escape. lay the fillets in and cook to well browned on the first side flip and cook till the fish is done. It doesnt take long this way and most of the grease cooks out of the fish and you are left with an awesome tasting peice of fish.

Lake trout are awesome in a fish boil. Its very similar to a white fish boil.

I also cook it on the grill. Make a tin foil boat and place the fillet in it. Salt, pepper and coat the fillet heavily with brown sugar, add some butter on top of that and cook on the grill until it flakes.

Reason I ask, is we are getting some awesome lakers out of Lake Ontario.

It just seemed there had to be a good way to prepare them instead of always turning them loose.

Thanks Everyone. Bill

• 6 months later...

The absolute best smoked fish I ever had was smoked lake trout. Many years ago I stopped by a friends house and he was just taking some smoked lake trout out of smoker....it was still warm and without a doubt the best I ever ate. Your recipes reminded me of that day. I also heard of a good LT recipe where you bake it in oven with favorite seasonings and mayo on fillet.I havent tried it yet but I thought it did sound good.

The absolute best smoked fish I ever had was smoked lake trout. Many years ago I stopped by a friends house and he was just taking some smoked lake trout out of smoker....it was still warm and without a doubt the best I ever ate. Your recipes reminded me of that day. I also heard of a good LT recipe where you bake it in oven with favorite seasonings and mayo on fillet.I havent tried it yet but I thought it did sound good.

I tried that way of making it once. Minus the mayo for me though. I think the key is to have like a grill rack to hold it up in the pan so the fat drips down away from the fillet as it cooks. It was ok the way i made it but haven't attempted it again. If i did i would have something to keep the fish up out of the drippings.