Got out last night with mom and dad. Set lines in 70 fow. Temp was 54 at 35 down. Trolled ssw. Got half way to Rosy mound and turned n. Really had to kick up the speed just to get 2mph@ the ball and started working my way out to 120. 101 fow we hooked up on a glow fire dog JP Slammer- 6# king. Then the dipsy at 112 fow with NBK JP Slammer- 10# king. Turn s got nothing, turned n 112 fow 300 32# copper w/ wrecked em fly- 16# king. Downrigger set at 62 in 112 fow with mongolian beef popped, fish was there then gone. Turned s again nothing, so I turned n. 300 setup goes again- 11# king. Coming back from putting that in the box and the rigger set at 50 in 117 fow is bouncing like crazy. Make 3 cranks and a steelie comes flying out of the water, waves goodbye and throws our wonderbread spoon at us.

Lot of fun on the warter last night. 4 for 6 and finally a decent night on the water :thumb:

Keep um' tight

Nice job last night. The current or the wind or something was odd last night. I don't have a probe but depending on direction it felt like we were standing still sometimes. Is there a reliable way to tell ball speed if you don't have a probe? I think that is my problem...or at least one of them.

Dave

Dave, if you run dipsies, watch the bend of the rod and try to match the bend when you are catching fish. You can do the same thing with the downrigger wire, watching the blow back. Mine start to "sing" at 2.5 at the ball. Watch your GPS sog (speed over ground), you will probably need to go faster when heading into the wind. I'm generally running at 2.2-3.1 sog

That's about what I usually run- 2.2-3.2. Depending on direction last night my riggers would sing loud and my dipsey rod was bent all the way to the handle. I am struggling to find what works best on my boat. No sweet spot yet. At least it is fun trying.

Dave

We had some crazy currents in south haven too. Popped starboard dipsy and by the time it rises its btw high and low on port side:eek: Tough to turn.

No probe here so i go by dipsy bend mostly along with rigger. just got new dipsy rods so i have a new learning "curve" :P