New health advisory on eating lake trout

This might not be the best place to put this forum, but it will be seen by the most people here.

The State of Michigan has changed their guidelines on how often to eat lake trout. It is now recommended to NEVER eat lake trout. Check out the chart on page 30 of the attached link.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishAdvisory03_67354_7.pdf

Since this is a fish that our state says should not be eaten, are tournaments going to continue to count lake trout in tournament weigh-ins? Essentially people would be catching them to weigh in, and then just grinding them at the fish cleaning station. I would be surprised if tournament committees will keep and donate lake trout fillets to food banks if the state says to never eat them. I know everyone won't stop eating them, but I am sure a lot will.

What do you think?

I highly doubt a food bank would accept a fish that was deemed unsafe to eat by the state.

Skin the fish, remove any dark/fatty areas, don't eat the belly area, eat in moderation....I don't think they'll kill ya if you insist eating on eating them.

Interesting that chart says Lake Huron lake trout up to 26" is OK for 1 meal per week. For Lake Michigan, do not eat any size. What, LK Mich is more polluted than Huron? I'll continue to the occasional lake trout if I catch it.

Like the previous post said, if we stop eating everything bad, might as well just kick the bucket right now. TV news said fried fish is bad for you. Not about to give up an occasional fried walleye dinner.

I have been eating fish twice a week for the past 50 years with a lot of it being lake trout. I have 30 pounds of smoked lake trout in my refrigerator right now. I have had no health issues. This isn't the first time we have been told to stop eating the fish. I just trim away more of the belly area on lake trout. I will continue to eat what I catch!

Have a great day on the water

Nice fishsniffer!!

I agree, I won't stop eating lake trout, and will continue to drink, smoke, and chew (and date the girls that do) but I thought it was interesting and wondered what tournaments and charter captains might think.