Leadcore

When you guys run a 2,3, or 5 color do you have a rod only line up with 2,3,5 or are you just letting however much line out on your 10 color reels?

Any disadvantage to running 2,3,5 colors on a ten color reel?

I have a 3 color, 5 color, 7 color and a 10 color all on seperate rods. You can segment it by putting x amount of core then splice in some mono to space it out however to save a set up. You never want to put your board on the core as it will fray over time and break. You also do not want to leave the core in the rod as the tip will rub the dacron sheath and cause a weak spot there as well.

I run a a 10, 5 and 2. On the 10 I do have it segmented with mono so that I can attached the board at that point, but I still run into the core being in the guides. I have not had any problems yet, however I know that I am pushing my luck a little bit doing that.

I started with a full core the 1st year I got into leadcore trolling and trolled it as far or as short as I thought I wanted to be. Each year after I have added a new color setup for different depths. It has "eased" me into running that type of rig without emptying the bank. Having different lengths of lead on separate rods is the best way to do it but can take up alot of room and burn alot of cash.

Having backer on the back of the leadcore increases the action when you let the whole leadcore into the water and 10-20 feet behind the board.

One option is to buy seperate reels, and use the same rods. I know that rods are cheap but it will save on some money and space. But I don't like using partial cores for the reasons everyone else has stated.

I keep at least 2 full core rods set up all of the time I also have a couple each of 7 color, 5 color 2 color and SWR rigs. The catch is that I have the ability to run up to 15 rods on my rig, the long lines on inline boards on the 3 rod trees on both gunwales and the great lakes singles on the gunwales. 2 pocket rod holders on the stern corners and 2 each on my 4 walker downriggers. I also can ad the 4 on the cabin roof if I turn them 90 degrees. The most important thing in running multiple rod setups is not how they are arranged on the boat but how the spread runs in the water. the shallowest rig should be farthest from the boat on both sides, then work deeper as you come in. I usually have a 300' copper closest to the boat then a full core then a shorter color depending on depth wanted. The 5 and 7 colors have been hot lately. They are really for Steelhead and only run 25 and 35 feet deep respectively. You can add dive bombs to get more depth if you need just remember the outside lines should always run above the inside lines. Making a big V shape.

I only use 4 lead cores, but then again my boat is only 20' with an 8' beam. Two 5 colors, a 3 color and a 2 color. The fives can easily be converted to 10 color equivalents by adding snap weights, and they don't take half an hour to reel in. I can throw the 3 or 2 down as an SWR or add snap weights on boards to make them a 5 color. Works great, especially in boat traffic. Picked up 3 steelies at high noon last week with the five colors and 6 oz snap weights.

• 2 weeks later...