Running Plugs?

Another question- what's the best setup for running plugs- i.e. behind dipseys, riggers, flashers. I just bought a silver horde and the diagram shows a leader with a swivel on it and the j-plug doesn't show one. What does the typical setup look like?

Thanks again for the much needed help.

Planning on going out of Holland tomorrow...if the weather cooperates.

Dave

I pretty much run Ace Hi plugs and i hook mine on with a Duo Lock snap.

You can run plugs in your spread anywhere youd like. Ive always had my best luck with them on core and copper, but have also taken plenty off Riggers and dipseys. My favorite place is on the long lines though. Green Splatter back, Blue Splatter Back, Green Ladder Back, Wonder Bread Glow are some of my favorites.

The Silver Horde is meant to have a leader tied to the hook chain, with a loop or snap that attaches to the main line swivel. The Ace Hi is a direct tie to the split ring, no need for a mainline swivel as the bait is not a twister it is a side to side searcher. Look at the way the guys hook up the Rapala type baits for the correct method for the Ace Hi. The Silver Horde and J plug are similar and the bait swims side to side when the strike comes the body slides up the line out of the fish's mouth and helps prevent knocking the fish off. This also enbales you to retrieve the body if the leader breaks, they pop right to the surface.

Ive never understood the need to tie direct to plugs. Particularly on traditional plugs there is a bead chain that runs through the plug. The plug rotates back and forth on the axis of the bead chain to get its action. How does tying direct vs. using a duolock change the performance of the lure? Only thing it doesnt allow is the plug to slide up the line, which i really dont care if it does or not. This cant occure on the Ace Hi's and i see no drastic effects of hook up to land ratios because of it.

Also, what is the advantage to tying a loop knot to an Ace Hi? If you think about it the pivot point for lure action is between the brass ring and the tab extending from the front of the plug.

So I guess, ive never understood the need to tie direct with a loop knot when you can accomplish the same thing with a duolock snap...and you dont have to retie constantly if you wanna change color or lure type.. I know more people who use a duolock than tie direct by a long shot. Seems to put allot of fish in the boat too.

They run great just about any way you use them. They do tend to work best in August.

Snap Swivel, plane snap, or direct tie all work. Rigger with 10-50 lead, core, copper all work. We save the divers for the Flasher/fly sets, but they work there also.

Ok, just so I am clear- all you need for an ace-hi is a swivel on the main line? What about just the regular silver hordes and J-plugs?

Thanks again, Dave

Its personal preference if you ask me if you tie direct or not to either. If you tie direct to a regular silver horde it will allow the plug to slide up onto your line if your fighting a fish as another poster said. I have duo-lock snap swivels on all my rods because i run a variety of baits-spoons, plugs, flasher/flies on those rods, so i dont cut them off when i run plugs and its always worked.....Its personal preference if you ask me.