fixed slider

I've used the old fashioned rubber band method too for many years, always works for me. I've said this before, and will again, any fisherman can double his chances of catching a fish on a rigger by using the fixed or free slider option. It's not complicated, and with two lures fished at different/similar depths on the single rod, you can catch many more hits and fish on any given day. We got this idea when you could only fish two rods per person, and there weren't many anglers aboard. It sure helped make up for the small group, with many more fish in the box. Welcome aboard Chasin Dan, hope you enjoy the guys here, they are great for any info. you want.

I use a half hitched rubber band to the downrigger cable 10 to 20' above the canon ball take the swivel from the leader put your main line and the loop from rubber band into it and snap it closed. When lowering don't put too much pressure on the rod until you get to the depth you want to fish. Then double it over. I also stop at 10' intervals to let the spoon catch up. Being tied to the cable I have increased the hooking percentage as there is no slack as there is with a free slider or a fixed slider that is attached only to the mono.

This sounds like a good method also Randy, and Welcome to the site also.

Surgical tubing slider all the way. No mess with rubber bands over the boat, no need to clip clips on and off.

Thats what I've been using for a while. I wondered when somebody would mention them. Pretty easy to use.

I've tried almost all of them over the years. Elberta Clippers work pretty good, used those for awhile, rubber bands, too. The offshore clips... have some of those, they're Ok. Got some of the rubber coated snaps, too. Can't remember who makes (made?) 'em. I guess they all work......

Since I only have 2 riggers I stack mine sometimes, too. Had pretty good luck with that, too. To each his own. Fun to experiment with different techniques, though.

Thats what I've been using for a while. I wondered when somebody would mention them. Pretty easy to use.

I've tried almost all of them over the years. Elberta Clippers work pretty good, used those for awhile, rubber bands, too. The offshore clips... have some of those, they're Ok. Got some of the rubber coated snaps, too. Can't remember who makes (made?) 'em. I guess they all work......

Since I only have 2 riggers I stack mine sometimes, too. Had pretty good luck with that, too. To each his own. Fun to experiment with different techniques, though.

Can someone explain to me the surgical tubing slider? A pic of the setup would be very helpful also. Thanks

I dont have my stuff with me right now, ill try to explain it the best possible.

First tie a slider with desired length of line(we like 10-12ft)of line , one end tie a snap and swivel( part the bait goes on). On the other end tie just a barrel swivel.

Then take the tubing about 1.5 inch long, half way up the tubing cut the tubing half way through, just a slit in the tubing.

To assemble take the line from your rod put it through the tubing to where you slit the in the tubing, pop the main line out the slip in the tubing, string the main line through the swivel( not the snap and swivel) After the line is through the swivel, put the main line through the rest of the tubing. The swivel should sit right in the slit you made.

The tubing may not want slide sometimes, may have to wet it sometimes.

I dont have my stuff with me right now, ill try to explain it the best possible.

First tie a slider with desired length of line(we like 10-12ft)of line , one end tie a snap and swivel( part the bait goes on). On the other end tie just a barrel swivel.

Then take the tubing about 1.5 inch long, half way up the tubing cut the tubing half way through, just a slit in the tubing.

To assemble take the line from your rod put it through the tubing to where you slit the in the tubing, pop the main line out the slip in the tubing, string the main line through the swivel( not the snap and swivel) After the line is through the swivel, put the main line through the rest of the tubing. The swivel should sit right in the slit you made.

The tubing may not want slide sometimes, may have to wet it sometimes.

Thanks mattmishler! I think I know how to rig the setup. What size tubing do you use? Thanks

I don't thing the tubing size matters much. I had some 1/8 inch ID we used for sliders and we also used it for our steelhead bobber stops river fishing. And I've got some bigger like 1/4 inch stuff that works, too. It just stays in place statically from the slider line pulling at a right angle to your main line.