Wire Diver Issues

Got 2 wire divers for the spread last year. Bought them used, but they looked like new - Shimano Reels and roller rods. Fished with them most of last year & then started to have some issues with break offs towards the end of the year. Needless to say - wire divers usually have some cash hooked to the end of them with the Dipsy, flasher & fly that I typically have on them.

I took about 25 ft off them this spring, re-tied them and just started using them again. Missed a good fish on one that just came off and caught about a 15 pound king on one with no issues. The one reel looked like it had a small backlash in it last weekend, so I was letting a bunch of line out when the wire got under itself and between the side of the reel and poof - another rig gone.

I used a regular overhand knot per the Bloodrun website when I tied them back up. Can wire go bad, or if there was a backlash can that cause issues like this - it did not look very bad at all. Wondering if I just need to strip them and start over, or if there is something else I am missing.

Thanks for any help

If you have a large open area I would suggest tying your wire around a tree and pulling it off of the spool by slowly walking backwards checking the wire carefully for kinks and abrasion as you go. If the wire had been reeled in with very little tension, it may be wrapped over itself on the spool which is causing the backlash and breakage where it is catching on itself. If the line is in good condition after you unspool it, it will probably be fine if you reel it back up keeping good tension on it as you go.

This is a good way to check your coppers and cores before each season also. I have found it is much easier to fix the bad spots while standing in my yard then while on the boat while trying to fish.

Thanks for the input, I will check them out a little closer and then decide if I need to replace. The wire on the one reel definately looked a little smoother than the other, so maybe I (or probably someone else on the boat;)) let it slip once and caused some issues.

I agree with the others, sounds like a respool is in order. Gotta keep that wire taut when handling and spooled tightly. Otherwise youll have back lash or kinking issues. I like to put short piece of surgical tube and a bead, then a short piece of small surgical tube on the wire and then tie on the swivel. Then you can just reel it up to the tip and everythign stays nice and tight. Dont forget to go over this with guests or they can easily toast your expensive set ups.

This knot works great, have never had it fail ever

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Now it seems to me though that most of the break-offs we have had have come from the knot and not other areas on the wire though. It has seemed that we tie them up, run them a few times, and then they break right near the knot. I'll give the knot Adam suggested above a shot and see if that makes a difference.

And by the way, the letting it slip issue had to have come from some of the rookies on the boat and not the "regulars" (ie. ME) :)

I would question the age of the wire. After a few years the stainless can become brittle. I would respool as a new spool if wire is cheaper than losing one or more setups. Blood Run has a sale on their 30# seven strand wire plus free shipping.;)

As far as knots go I have always used a Homer Rhodes knot and it has never failed. I also use a bead in front of the swivel to protect the knot and guide when you reel it all the way up. Make sure you use a snubber and loosen the drag a bit when a fish first hits and getting the rod out of the holder. Let the fish tire a minute or two before working it in. Otherwise you will have many pulled hooks and lost fish.

Well - I just got back from the Outdoorsman to replace the paddle we lost after the last break off. I stopped for lunch checked Facebook while waiting for food & see Blood Run has a special on wire - HMMMM. I then check this site to see the replies along with the info that Blood run has a special on wire - HMMMM.

I'm maybe thinking the signs are beginning to point to new wire :yes:.

After getting into it last night, it definately seemed like some of the wire was brittle. After I stripped about 500 feet of it it was much harder to break, or even cut.

Talked to a guy at work yesterday and he had an intresting comment. He said when he sets his wire dipsy's, he always makes sure the line is in the middle of the spool before he puts it in the holder. He thought he noticed issues if the line was towards the outside that it might dig in between itself and the side of the spool after running for a bit, or a big hit. Seemed like a good preventative measure that I thought I would share.

Thanks,

Shane

Ive never done that and never have had an issue with the line digging in. The key is to spool it on tightly. I put it on as tight as i can and then when i get out i let out most of the line with a drop ball, small dispey etc and wind it back on. That ensures its very tight on the reel. After that it should be good to go. Also, when in the holder, i set my drags so they just creep on a surge of a wave or a big strike.That takes the stress off the rod blank and butt as well as the reel