Underwater Structure and The Big Pond

GLF

What is structure underwater? Underwater structure can be many things. It can be a single rock, massive rock pile, sunken boat or ship, weed patch, underwater hump, or even a drop off. Any irregularity on the bottom surface is structure.

What does this have to do with salmon fishing? Plenty! Not all salmon swim the open water chasing schools of baitfish. Alewifes are not the only fish salmon eat. As the alewife population dwindles, salmon will look for alternative food sources. Baitfish will relate to structure. If you was to dive down to an underwater rock pile, you will find bait fish. Where there is prey, there are predators. I am not saying every piece of structure holds prey all of the time. Some structures are better than other's. Find two structures together and you are on to something. What do I mean? If you find a rock pile on a drop off, or a point on the drop off, you have two structures that intersect. These area's are fish magnets. You also have to take water temperature into account. You probably will not find salmon on a piece of structure in 30' of water if the temperature is 60 degrees. Find the structure at your target depth and you will find fish.

A quality lake chart, quality fish finder and a GPS are necessities for fishing structure underwater effectively. Keep an eye on your fish finder when fishing. If you find a piece of structure on your fish finder, mark it on your GPS. Also watch for fish to show up around it. You may have to make a couple of passes over it in several directions to get the fish that are relating to it. Underwater current plays a role in how fish relate to the structure. Just like a rock in a river, underwater structure create's current breaks.

I am not saying to abandon your way of fishing, I am just putting another feather in your cap. If you are not having any luck in the open water, give it a try.

GLF

• 1 year later...

I read another real informative article on another site that included temperature break as structure.

Quote: Structure: (n) Any physical feature that affects the movement and behavior of fish.

This definition allows us to discuss physical features that aren’t permanent objects, or for that matter aren’t even objects at all. There are physical features in the water itself that, without a doubt, affect the movement and behavior of fish. Temperature breaks and color lines are physical features that are often overlooked when structure is discussed. End Quote

Just one more place to look for fish! Every little bit helps.

• 1 month later...