Humminbird 788ciHD, any thoughts?

Thinking about pulling the trigger for one of those Hummingbird 788ciHD, any pros and cons for this unit? Am going to pair it with the LakeMaster card for MI. A buddy told me that I'm fishing in the stone age without GPS and plotting, so...

Thanks guys!

I finally went with that unit this year too. Haven't used it much so far, but it is great so far. I was fishing in yesteryear too with an Eagle that was 15 years old. The Humminbird was very easy to install and that HD thing is impressive. I was able to see an almost perfect picture of a weed stalk on an inland lake. The GPS is very accurate and I love the fact that it gives depth contours of Lk. Michigan out of the box. Haven't put Lake map software yet, but can't wait to try the unit out more and explore what it really can do. I recommend it. Good luck.

I bought the 898 this spring and have been pretty happy with it. Lots of buttons though. (A work in progress, I'm learning). Nice thing about it as opposed to my old one, not a Humminbird, it always turns on and works. I think you'll like it. I went with the Lakemaster Michigan chip. Really like it.

Have fun shopping.

Paul C.

I finally went with that unit this year too. Haven't used it much so far, but it is great so far. I was fishing in yesteryear too with an Eagle that was 15 years old. The Humminbird was very easy to install and that HD thing is impressive. I was able to see an almost perfect picture of a weed stalk on an inland lake. The GPS is very accurate and I love the fact that it gives depth contours of Lk. Michigan out of the box. Haven't put Lake map software yet, but can't wait to try the unit out more and explore what it really can do. I recommend it. Good luck.

OK, I guess I lied. Went out last night and there are no depth contours for Lk. Michigan (at least in the South Haven area). It may have them for other Lk. MI areas. Sorry about that, still learning about this unit.

• 1 year later...

Ive got 2 of these units, 1 on my walleye boat, and 1 on my lake mich. boat.my walleye boat has lake chip in it ,it shows contours anddepth changes you can even set it up to display color changes by depth.very detailed,you wont learne it all in first trip out but very worthwhile.plus the gps function wil get you back home every night.