Elwives, Why all the Dead Elwives??

OK was in Ludville with the New boat this weekend, saw a lot of Dead elwives, is this normal, never seen them so many and I'm a little concerned, I don't know their life cycle, but damn what's going on they're even all over the beaches..? What's going on?

Boltman.

That is why they planted the Salmon in the first place. They get stressed from spawning and the warm water and die.

It's the natural cycle.

Did you go fishing yet?

Edited by Nailer

No, I know why they planted the Salmon in Lake Michigan, I just wanted to know why all of a sudden they were there. And the Sea Gulls weren't even eating them either, must have been Full.

How's the fishing been over there in Ludville, I haven't even been out fishing yet, still getting used to the boat and well it's been expensive, right now it's in the repair shop in Spring lake getting a hole fixed in her side.... don't even ask, it's a sore spot in my life right now...

It's being fixed and covered by insurance, well at least the largest part on it..

Boltman.

Nailer is right, and the season here in Ludville is about 2-3 weeks behind, or more. The massive numbers and sizes of Kings to come is behind, and as such, the alewife explosion is not under control. This will pass is due time, and the lull in current catches right now will reverse. I note a 25# King was caught here on Saturday, 7/09 at the Boat Club tournament, and this is just the beginning of what could be an extraordinary season. Patience..........is a virtue.

Do you guys think this will make for some larger salmon this year?

The bumper crop of baitfish this year has defiantly increased the salmon size in Sturgeon Bay this year. There have been a quite a few mid 20's kings caught and on Friday a 32# king was brought in.

My folks live on the north lake Michigan shore of the straits. When iwas a kid we had a couple bing alewife die offs. One was so bad we carried them in wheelbarrows and burned them. Used to get a penny a fish. Dad stopped paying us after day one. They always got mixed in the gravel stunk to high heaven