What a difference a year makes.

Last year at this time, Port Sanilac was on fire for fish. We've been skunked the last 2 times out:confused: The hot spots from last year at this time are showing no fish!! I know things change but that's pretty drastic! Where have the fish gone? We've been fishing anywhere from 70 to 90 feet of water. Are we too shallow or too deep?? Getting a little bummed out.:(

I know there are fish there. Stopped by the cleaning station last Saturday, Creel guy told me about 50 salmon/coho/steelhead/ lake trout that he documented that day. They're around there somewhere.....

It's actually a positive change! Our fish are now chasing baitfish!(Smelt) It is making it more difficult to pattern fish, because smelt do behave much differently than alewife, but keep at it! This year is leaps and bounds above the last few years!!!

that is good news!! Bigger and fatter fish for sure! I think we need to move around a lot more and go searching. We'll find them eventually! We were out a lot more last year so we stayed on top of the fish better than we are this year, that's what our problem is. Damn work always gets in the way of fishing....

Bigger and fatter fish for sure! I think we need to move around a lot more and go searching. We'll find them eventually

I love the positive outlook! It's getting better... its just different. You'll get on em soon enough!

Yes July was great last year at Sanilac. I have spent the last 3 weeks hitting Saginaw Bay for the walleyes but today it's back to Sanilac. Our group today is supposed to be 3 boats so hopefully we can track a few fish down. Will post results later today.

Heidi, keep your head High and a big smile:) you'll find them:thumb:

If I was out there I would look for a temp break the lake should be setting up with a Late spring on temp I would go North to Cherry Creek start in 40 fow and head straight out troll, try to spead the program from top to bottom till you find them:thumb:

Like lake Michigan side when in dought head stright out,

good luck.

I have been working 5/12s with 3hrs of driving in it, been kinda whip by the weekend so no fishing for me but maybe in a couple of weeks I'll be back on the the water.:thumb:

that is good news!! Bigger and fatter fish for sure! I think we need to move around a lot more and go searching. We'll find them eventually! We were out a lot more last year so we stayed on top of the fish better than we are this year, that's what our problem is. Damn work always gets in the way of fishing....

Heidi, No matter how you slice it WORK is still a 4 letter word.:) Unfortunately we need to sell some of our time to do the things we like. Just remember not to sell too much of it. Ya can't buy any of it back.:)

Heidi, it pays to get to know some charter operators as well as some of the local fishermen. When not fishing I will hang out at the launch site and get as much information as I can.Like what lures, how fast, how deep, how far back I just ask a few questions. Sometimes fishing fewer poles gets you more fish too. When I mark fish really good I will cut back to two rods on the downriggers with 4 foot sliders. The reason that I do this is even in a big boat you can turn it on a dime and stay in the fish, without a tangle. The downriggers allow you keep your lures in front of the fish by raising and lowering them. Every pass through the fish I will raise or lower the riggers a little. I hope that this helps a little, Lake Huron is coming back but the DNR really killed it when they allowed commercial salmon fishing.