Trouble with 2001 Evinrude 9.9

We picked up a 9.9 Evinrude long shaft that was bairly used at all. Installed it on our 26' Islander and put a 3gal fuel tank in the back for the kicker only, and an new fuel line. Got out on the lake put it down got it running and pushing the boat in the 2.0-3.0 range and after a few minutes it started surging and quit, couldn't get it to run right so we took it off after we got it home and took it back to the dealer. They rebuilt the carb and test ran good. Took it back out and got it to run but had to have the chocke out slightly and it seemed to want to surge when the boat would rock with the waves. This time I took the boat with the motor to the dealer and they test ran and said they adjusted and was good to go. Took it back out again, and this time it started ok and run ok at first then as it got warmer after 15-20min of trolling it started surging and quit again, played with the fuel adjustment but could not get it to run well. Called the dealer on the way home and they said come and get a new tank and fuel line, they felt it was the fuel tank and the line that I bought. Put the new tank and line on and took it out yesterday, started and ran ok but again had to have the choke out slightly to get it to run smoth. After I got the lines set and things were calm I puled the cover and adjusted the idle mixture and it wouldn't help the problem at all when I adjusted the mixture. Put things back the way they were, and left it alone as it seemed it was running ok. Then all of a sudden it reved up alittle then wouldn't hold a stedy idle and died. I pulled it up and didn't play with it anymore. Any ideas guys? What would you do? Have any of you experianced problems with kickers like this?

I dont know much about the newer motors but if you have to slightly choke it its not getting enoughf fuel.I had a motor that surged and then would die out but start right back up afer days I found it had a blown head gasket and was letting water into cylinder when it warmed up pretty easy to pull head.I would have marina put it into water and let them see engine under a load what it does, and if they cant fix it Id get money back and go elsewhere.Good luck!

Sounds like theres still a problem with the carb.

When a motor sets around any length of time the old nasty fuel does a job on the carb. You can play heck getting the gunk out of those tiny little passages. Even after several attempts to rebuild it. These are very tiny carbs with very tiny passages.

I've had some carbs I've had apart and soaked them three times and still couldn't get them to run trouble free. Most times I can get them to run for now, but they have problems when the temps change etc...

If I had to guess I'd say try putting a new carb on it and junk the original.

When you figure labor into it, often its just as cheap to renew the carb as it is to try and rebuild it anyway.

Could be a couple things from my experiences.

Sounds like a fuel pump to me if the carbs been gone through. Also, make sure the filter on the motor is free of any obstructions. We have a 2000 Evenrude 9.9 four stroke and it would run fine for awhile then run rough and quit once it ran outta fuel. If we pumped the ball it would pick right back up. We thought we had a bad fuel line, primer bulb, bad fuel line on the motor itself, bad diaphram. Replaced all that, put in a carb kit, but still had an issue. There is two small spring valves in the fuel pump and on mine one of of the keepers that holds the spring in came out of the plastic. Just had some little keeper thats pressed into the plastic and it popped out. I got one of those $0.30 locking star washers that was the right size from the hardware and used the same diameter socket and tapped it into the plastic. Those sharp angled serrations turned and cut into the plastic essentially embedding itself into plastic. IMO, it worked better than the factory keeper, which is not available for sale by the way. You have to buy an entire fuel pump which is why we tried this.:rolleyes: Have not had an issue since. Been at least 4 or 5 years.

Not long after we had another issue. Motor would run great, then after a bit it would run rough and conk out. Turned out to the ignition module. Its located on the front of the motor. Anyhow, its a unit sealed in epoxy and somehow they can develop a short or something over time and when this happens they heat up and fail. Itll run great at first, but once it warms up, its all over. .Its a very easy fix, just unbolt and unplug a wire harness, but theyre a pricy little devil. I wanna say it was $300 bucks when we replaced ours. I believe they have two versions because the first one was problematic. Im not aware of any recall on this part however.

Good luck, i know what its like to have a motor frustrating the hell outta ya. Ive been through that this summer with my main. Just picked it up today...Fishing tomorrow.:thumb:

I am taking it back again.:mad: I recommended that they put it on a boat and take it to a lake and run. Not just the muffler or the tank. What's so frustrating about the whole thing is the mechanic that works on it thinks it runs fine and gets real short about the situation. When we take it back this time I will be asking for an agreement that if they get done with it again and say it's good to go and I take it out and it starts it's problem again that they give us our money back for the motor. We got the panther mount and EZ steer thru them also but I won't ask for the $ for the add-ons. Does that sound unreasonable to you guys or not? This will be my 8Th and 9Th trip with this motor issue, at 35miles and a 40 minute trio it's ridiculous of what has gone on.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had similiar problems with my Yamiha 9.9 when new. It ended up being that at idle speeds the fuel pump can't efficiently suck fuel through the anti syphon valves and the line goes empty. I knocked out the one in the ball pump and there was another one in the T fitting for the big motor. Since then it has been fine.

We took the motor back today and made them put it in their test tank. Ran for about an half an hour with no problem. Hooked up battery to charging system like it is on the boat and still ran OK. They started in with there is something wrong with your boat and we got the idea the tank was setting about the same height as the motor or just below. We took another engine stand and raised the fuel line up above the motor like it is in the boat and the way they said it would be fine and let it run that way for awhile. Wasn't long and the surging started and the motor quit just like it has been doing right along in the boat. They ordered a fuel pump kit to put in and feel that should take care of the issue. Hopefully it does and I feel it will, it acts like the motor is starving for fuel and that's what I told them from the beginning, bu they blamed the carb. The tank has been setting on the floor of the boat and has to run above the transom then back down to the motor and the pump is weak and can't handle it. We were planning on making a mount to put the fuel tank on the opposite side of the transom as the kicker like some guys do with swim platforms I've seen or just plain mounts then the tank will be at the height of the carb or a little above and the pump won't have to work so hard. I don't know how some of you guys get away with drawing from the main tank with these cheap little pumps they put on these motors but it is what it is, thanks for all the replies hopefully it's taken care of now.

Sitting around for long periods is hard on fuel systems. I fix more fuel problems for this reason than any other. Normally you can tell when the pump is bad though. If the motor picks up and runs good as soon as you pump the ball you can bet theres a pump problem. Normally just choking the carb wont do it. Thats why I suspected the carb itself.

In any case hope you get it taken care of and can get out there and catch some fish!

Well the problem goes a little farther. They reeived the fuel pump kit and pulled the pump to rebuild and when they got the pump apart they found that the check valaves had come apart internally, which was causing the problems. So now they ordered a new pump and will put that on next week.

Yes I now that when a motor is acting like its struggling to get fuel and when you pump the primer and it picks up the pump is week, but in this case it made no differance, I pump the primer and it made no noticable change. Anyways thanks for all the help guys, hopefully the problem is found and it runs as advertised.