Looking for guidance!

I'm going into my second season on my boat. Last year was a learning experience but very fulfilling! I ended up boating 8 fish in 4 trips. This year I have added two wire diver rods. So I am planning on running two riggers at the corners, a lo wire diver and a hi braid diver and occasionally some core.

1.Last year I didn't catch any on flasher / flies. any suggestions to help dial it in or color combos?

2. If you were to run a setup down the chute what would it be?

3. What is your favorite setup to run off of leadcore.

Thanks

Troy

Troy,

1 I have been reading posts they talk about the leader lenght between your dipsy and the flashe. I have been running mine too short. But too long and it will be difficult to land a fish. Whites and greens seem to be popular and produce.

2 I would not run one down the chute. You are asking for a tangled mess.

3 lead cores, it depends what you are targeting. Up high, 2 thu 5 color I use bright colors like orange and reds and yellows for steelhead. Darker colors deeper for kings. Mix it up, plugs and spoons. Dont forget meat rigs, they bring fish into your spread.

I wouldn't run anything down the chute, you are just begging for trouble. As far as flasher/fly combos, it really depends. For 8" SD's, the Blue Bubble and Mountain Dew are consistent producers. On the 11" paddle's I have had good luck with double fish scale. Doubkle crush white glow is good for anyone. Green, blue and white flies are all good. I have also had good luck with the No-See-Um type flies paired with a dark paddle. But they have been best at very light low conditions for me. On cores it depends on the depth. You can usually run the same type of spoons that you run on your riggers, at the same depth.

Run your low diver on a 1 setting, and the high diver on a 2-2.5 setting. I really like the 124 walked divers.

Min. of 6', but up to 8' of 40# mono from diver to flasher. Try to match the fly to the flasher. 8" flashers use 21-24" Fly leader, 11" flasher use a 36-40" Fly leader.

When I run 2 divers per side, the low will have a 11", and the high will have a 8" flasher.

Running both divers down to the same depth is ok. If your going to stager the depth, than run the inside one deeper.

These two combos of F/F produced a lot of fish last year.

The 11" where from Big Weenie, and the 8" where from Siggs Rigs.

1D2N9945.jpg

Big Weenie has combo rigs that work great. These two look like true winners.

1D2N0048.jpg

I agree %100 on keeping the shoot open.

Spoons, and Ace Hi plugs are good on the cores/coppers.

The little boy blue fly works wonders on the WI side of the pond. Look at what spoons are working and get flys that incorporate those colors.

Last year I ran 225-275 of copper down the chute and ran a Moonshine Happy Meal. That set up took atleast 1 fish every trip out...

As far as flashers you dont need to break the bank on a ton of gear. Get something blue, mountain dew, and cracked ice... Dont give up on running flys.

Put some meat behind them flashers andthey will prduce anything John King makes catches fish in my boat. I like to put fish in the chute and nothing else I always run either a bare meat head(no fly meat rig) spoon or plug on low cores and put it on an offshore board.

Put some meat behind them flashers andthey will prduce anything John King makes catches fish in my boat. I like to put fish in the chute and nothing else I always run either a bare meat head(no fly meat rig) spoon or plug on low cores and put it on an offshore board. Speed has alot to do with a good flasher fly program too.

I'm going into my second season on my boat. Last year was a learning experience but very fulfilling! I ended up boating 8 fish in 4 trips. This year I have added two wire diver rods. So I am planning on running two riggers at the corners, a lo wire diver and a hi braid diver and occasionally some core.

1.Last year I didn't catch any on flasher / flies. any suggestions to help dial it in or color combos?

2. If you were to run a setup down the chute what would it be?

3. What is your favorite setup to run off of leadcore.

Thanks

Troy

Flasher/fly setups on my boat are are pretty simple. 11" white paddle with a green fly on my deepest rigger mid-morning is usually hot for me. Sorry, I couldn't tell you who makes which flies I use because I've got so many on my boat I can't keep track of the manufacturers anymore. For flashers, I run a lot of Fishcatchers and E-chips, and a few Spin Dr.'s also.

White/green or Mtn. Dew 8" flashers on the wire with green, mirage, or white flies seem to work well for deeper fish on my boat.

As far as a chute rod, this can be a pain BUT, with a large enough crew, I have caught several fish on a full core with a green ladderback J-plug out the back. Just have to make sure someone is available to burn it in if need be.

Don't be afraid to run spoons and plugs on your diver rods. Early morning I seem to catch many more fish with splatterback J's and spoons on my divers (especially my high fireline divers) than with FF's. Just the way it seems to work on my boat. A chrome cut plug J-plug on my high diver back 75 to 100' is just killer for us at first light.

I normaly run magnum Dolphins (green or blue) on my coppers and do well with them. Can't seem to make the FF's work on the copper, but many of my friends do very well with them.

Oh yeah, don't forget the two color or short copper with a double orange crush spoon WAAAYY out on a board for the steelies. Accounts for at least two fish almost every trip out.

Just keep changing up until something works. I have a fifteen minute rule, every fifteen minutes I change speed, depth, or presentations until things start firing. No sense dragging a dead spread all day. Amazing how my catch has pretty much doubled since I instituted this rule.

To follow up on the changing baits every 15 minutes, Saturday morning I we got out in sun up and didnt get a bite til 730. We were both on little to no sleep so that plan was to quit at 7. Well im stubborn so I started changing things everywhere, ended up catching 3 kings 19, 15 and 10 pounds on 3 lures of mine that had not even hit the water yet this year. So keep changing, keep changing speeds, keep trying a new direction to troll. Eventually we got a bite, then a pattern. And new baits that we have confidence in.

Back to the original topic, I dont really have a go to flasher or fly, grene on green is always good, 8 inch white protroll with aqua fly is good for me off a dipsey all year long.

On the riggers I alwasy run an 11 inch paddle deep with about a 30 inch fly, that big paddle with a somewhat short lead is my best producer for big kings. If you run spin drs 8 inch variety mt dew is a good one with a power blue fly, and keep it between 21 and 24 inches. The spin drs work good on a short lead, or on the dipseys for some reason.

Otherwise I like ot get my rigger baits away from the ball a little, 50 to 75 or longer in high sunlight. If there hitting the dipseys, tighten them up. Also stagger the leads on riggers. If the bait comes buy at 60 down and they dont take it, maybe the rigger at 70 with a longer lead will get them.