What is it??

I'm new to the posting thing so please bear with me.

I was out Wednesday morning out of Port Sheldon and each time I'd pull lines to change lures there was this slime hanging on the lines. Sometime it was so bad that it would cause the rigger to release. I could not reel the lines in without stopping to clear the top guide on the pole. If there were a fish on, I'd never get it in.

I used to fish the big lake alot but it's been a few years since I've been out. I don't remember ever running into this before. How do you deal with this?

yes the are sea fleas, when your reeling in without a fish, when ya see some comin up the line slap the line on the water like a flyrod, it will get them off not 100 percent but enough, when your done fishing and the line is dry they come off easier then when wet...

It's Cottonwood time and more than likely it's the cottonwood seed floating on the pond and combining with the usual scum. Once the cotton gets wet it doesn't look fuzzy anymore. This stuff sticks to everything.

A warm welcome to the GLF site.

Flea flicker is a line made by Courtland,it is 20# test and has a flat feel to it I keep 5 reels on my boat filled with it and at first flea I switch out reels. They dont stay around for the whole summer but late June into the end of July they kill u. Wire divers are not effected by it neither is leadcore or copper. But I made the mistake of trying Power Pro for my downriggers a couple of years back and even the 400# stuff had major issues with the sea fleas. The line sells in bulk spools of 2500 yards for about 40 bucks. I get it at D&R sports in Kalamazoo . Welcome to middle of the summer Salmon fishing.