Storing Extra Fish

BenLubbs

I don't have a recipe but more of a question about preparation. Normally after a trip I like to keep at least enough fish for one meal fresh in the fridge. The rest goes in the freezer. My current method of freezing extra is putting the fillets in gallon ziplock bags and then putting enough water in to cover the fish and sticking it in the freezer (I was told by one of my mentors that the water protects the meat from freezer burn). The problem is that the water adds a lot of volume so each bag takes up a lot of space. Also, when I go to cook the fish, they take FOREVER to thaw. I'm curious what other guys do to store fish. I'm considering getting a vacuum packager but I though I would check with you guys before I started looking for one.

Thanks,

Ben

i do the vaccum sealing, i was a water in the bag guy before that, I put them in a casserole dish with paper towel to dry them a little before sealing then seal them up, Then freeze or fridge, Also when i thaw the frozen fish i open the sealed bag and put a little water in the bag to moisten back up. I love the sealer best purchase ever from venison to fish to chicken or burger.... definatly worth it.

And the thawing takes a half hour to 45 min in warm water vs. a day with the water bags.

I vaccuum seal as well for the salmonids. For bass and other white meat fish, we use used orange juice or milk cartons beacuse of the waxy film they use to seal the cardboard. They are square so they fit in the freezer easier. We also put some salt in the water to firm up the fillets while drawing the blood out.

I use both, but you don't need all that much water in the bag. I squeeze out most of the water till all of the air is out and still squeeze out more water. It is the air that ruins the meat. Water in the bag just displaces the air.

I use both, but you don't need all that much water in the bag. I squeeze out most of the water till all of the air is out and still squeeze out more water. It is the air that ruins the meat. Water in the bag just displaces the air.

Vacuum sealer here. Air causes freezer burn, water has air in it. Therefore, water will also lead to freezer burn. It works well if you flash freeze them on a cookie sheet for half an hour or so before sealing them.

Vacuum sealer, after work today my wife took some salmon out of the freezer to cook for lunch , she thawed it in 20-25 min in warm water. Grilled it to take to work for her and the girls. So its the vacuum sealer all the way, even seal up the smoked fish ,makes for a convenience package. Best think is you control how much is in the bag before you seal it. We use it on much more than fish , hamberger, cheese, pork , amost anything you would buy in bulk.

Not to beat a dead horse, but vacuum sealer is the way to go for fish you are keeping for more than a couple weeks.

We'll get lazy and do the bags with water once in a while if we know they are coming out in a month.

I also dry mine out with a paper towel before vacuuming as someone else suggested.

IMO, frozen salmon after 3-5 months is yuk. I never freeze any until the end of the season and then not much, just enough to last a few months. For long term storage, canning is the way to go.

I use the Foodsaver type. Just a warning, Keep it clean! I learned if you let little bits dry on the machine, it won't draw a good vaccum and you'll be banging your head trying to get it to seal. Bags are a bit pricey, but if you trun them inside-out, they go in the dishwasher and you can get about one more use out of it.