Buying a Boat From Bass Pro Shops...ask me first

Hey guys,

I was debating on whether to post anything or not but will just say that anyone who is thinking about purchasing a Tracker boat from Bass Pro Shops can feel free to speak to me regarding my personal experience with BPS before and after I purchased my boat. I think it's beneficial for those considering Bass Pro to have the facts before signing on the dotted line. That's all I'll say for now.

Thanks guys.

Cabelas ticked me off when my dad and i were looking for a small boat just a couple weeks ago. My dad has had double knee replacement and has a hard time moving. What he needed to see was if he was sitting at the wheel how hard of a time he would have getting up from there on a couple differnet boats. We were told they dont allow people on the boats until after the purchase is complete. You can look from the outside and see if it is a boat that you like or not. We asked for the store manager and were promptly told by the manager that that is the new store policy. How would you like buying a boat that has had a bunch of people playing on the boat. We said ok see ya we'll go to the lund dealer. I have not been happy with cabelas much lately. They now have a 30 day return policy. I live about 3 hours from there and if somehting doesnt work out right and i cant get there basically i am screwed for making that purchase. I used to like that store but am pretty much done shopping there.

My real issue is with the dealer, not the products. Yes, I have found some things that I didn't really like about the boat but overall I'm satisfied with it. You can't expect to get an Alumicraft or Lund with Tracker pricing. That I understand completely and will not argue that fact. The boat pretty much is what they stated.

That being said.....I don't expect to pay for installation of items and then have to redo the installation because things were not done correctly. I also should not have to put a line of clear silicone on either side of the console because water is gushing in and soaking the wiring under the console. It's a new boat!!! Also, I planned on using my handheld GPS and had a cigarette lighter adapter added to the driver's console. Somehow, some way, the cigarette lighter blew a fuse and my GPS never worked again. I realize the fuse should keep a surge from hitting the GPS but it didn't and I then had a $350 piece of junk. Had to go out and buy a new plotter and I never used the cigarette lighter adapter again.

It's things like that that bothered me and then when BPS and Tracker send me a survey and I relay the problem I've had, I'm told I will be contacted immediately by the dealer but I never heard anything. When I wrote directly to BPS regarding a separate issue, I never got a reponse either. To me that's just poor customer service.

Lastly, I was called by Tracker 3 times asking if I wanted to purchase and extended warranty on the boat and each time I had to remind them I already purchased the extended plan at the time I bought the boat. Really...I have to tell the same guy 3 times I already have the plan? Where is the communication.

In the end, that was my message to my fellow GLF members. I will say that this is MY experience with BPS and others can definitely have different experiences. However, I really feel that if you need to get something resolved after buying a boat from BPS, you're in for a long frustrating journey.

Thanks again guys.

Unfortunately when rigging and electrical gets installed by dealers sometimes it's done by less than capable people.

Big Jack a friend of mine purchased an New Alumacraft from an AuGres Dealer. He has since sold the boat due to age but he was so proud of the boat and the dealer. In reality the dealer's work was horrific. They installed two BJ riggers on swivel bases in a track. Instead of obtaining proper spacers the dealer stacked several washers in the track so the swivel bases would sit high enough in order to swivel. The riggers would shake rattle and roll. I fixed that for him. The electrical hook up to the riggers was done using un-polarized 120vac 2 wire electrical plugs. If the riggers were plugged in wrong they would work in reverse. These places hire kids off the street and the next day they are experts. You pay marina prices and get crappy workmanship. A lot of the Big Box Home Improvement stores are the same. I'm a tradesman and I have to laugh at some of the responses I get at these places. It's unfortunate but a fact of life. So it's not only BPS.

Sad story and just goes to show, these box fishing stores really are out of their field of expertise selling and trying to service new boats to begin with. I hope Phil gets the proper service and warranty work done by a competent dealer. Trouble is, all too often a dealer that hasn't sold you the unit doesn't want to service it later either, same as cars. Even though they are bound by the mfr. to do so whether they sold it to the person or not.

Thanks again guys.

Well luckily nothing is wrong with the boat yet. We opted to have BPS install everything, at a pretty penny too, in order to save time and stay within warranty guidelines by having a qualified marine dealer install the electronics. Afterwards, I had to redo a lot of it just to make things right. The gap from the console to the gunwale, allowing water to POUR onto the electrical components under the console, was just garbage. I shouldn't have to put clear silicone on my new boat and Bass Pro's 'offical" stance was that they could fine nothing wrong.....and they are the marine experts.

In the end, the boat isn't bad and I have things pretty much the way I want them but I just couldn't understand BPS indignance towards a customer that spent so much money in their store. It kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

These stores, IMO, are not places that, if I were in the market for a new boat, I would consider purchasing a boat from to begin with. It's just not their thing period. Then throw in the big "corporate" procedures and such, it's just a recipe for disaster. There are plenty of boat dealers, and that's their core business, that could take care of you without incident. Customer service is poor no matter where you go, the good thing as a consumer, you make the choice to buy or not, and from the sounds of things will be your last purchase at a large retailer as such.

Going to a big box retailer and having some dipsh*t making $9 an hour install your boat electronics? You deserve what you get...it is silly. Esp if you are spending alot of money on good electronics.

Every weekend BPS is full of people looking to save a few bucks, meanwhile there are some great marine dealers around this state employing professionals who will do it right the first time and stand by their work.

These stores, IMO, are not places that, if I were in the market for a new boat, I would consider purchasing a boat from to begin with. It's just not their thing period. Then throw in the big "corporate" procedures and such, it's just a recipe for disaster. There are plenty of boat dealers, and that's their core business, that could take care of you without incident. Customer service is poor no matter where you go, the good thing as a consumer, you make the choice to buy or not, and from the sounds of things will be your last purchase at a large retailer as such.

Exactly Wheeler...ps..nice trunks in your pic...are those the ones we picked out for you at Baby Gap?

Well, maybe I deserved what I got or maybe BPS needs to address their customer service issues.

In any event, the boat is fine, all the electronics are good and the boat is ready for fishing.

well that is good...I know I would totally flip my lid if I finally bought a brand new boat and stuff was going wrong...

By no means do I think that you deserved what you got. However, I just think the probability for trouble is higher with a store as such. Good to hear everything is working out! Good luck

Customer service is the same for all products at BPS. I bought a high dollar tent from them one time. The poles would just break randomly. The tent would be set up and suddenly, snap a pole would break for no reason. I started to do some research and found out it was a common problem other people had. I called BPS. They wouldn't replace the poles, they denied there was a problem, wouldn't help me find replacements, nothing. Just basically, sorry for your bad luck. I have never bought another item from them and never will.