Racine and South 6-22 through 6-25

Lots of fishing last weekend and lots of water covered pre-fishing for the Morris Invitational out of Winthrop Harbor, IL.

Weds we fished Racine and had a huge number of cohos plus good numbers of the other species needed in this contest. Fished the edge of the hill alittle south of town 100-150 fow. Wire divers near the bottom with Spin Doctors and Mirage flies and good action on the surface with stingers.

Thursday we figured we needed a second and third spot so we fished different waters. Fished off Kenosha, then off Waukegan, and finally all the way south to the R4 reef. Never thought I would see the Sears Tower from my boat! We had decent coho action nearly everywhere we fished with the exception of Chicago. Fun to catch fish, but not what we were looking for.

Friday we definitely knew that fishing Racine was our best option for the contest. Started out great with some really nice fish. Three species and all good size fish. Unfortunately we could only pull 11 fish out of our spot. Others in the area were throwing fish back but it just wasn't for us. Good weight for our 11 fish but you need the points of all 15. Ended the day in 22nd out of 30 boats.

Saturday we decided we were too far gone to make a run at the top so we decided to stay close to Winthrop and just try to find three big fish for their 333 contest. Ended up finding a sweet spot straight off Winthrop in 222-240 fow. Completely different lake than what we had been fishing. Found four species plus really decent size fish. Good action on boards on top with stingers. NBK UV Super Slim on a downrigger 69. And the stud was the new 11'' UV ''Blood Run Edition'' Dreamweaver Paddle down 230 on a rigger. This thing took many fish including our biggest king and a nice trout with literally minutes left to fish for our 15th fish.

:thwak:

Awesome contest! anyone ever considering it should definitely give it a shot next year. We may not have won but we came down with some good Racine mojo. First and third were Racine boats, congrats to Hawg Gone and Stormtrooper, with Fuzzy Bear taking second. Many other Racine and Milwaukee boats finishing out the top 15.

Russ - I am planning on fishing both contests for Salmon-A-Rama. Hopefully that plan still follows through. The two in a boat is probably one of my favorites of all the contests around.

I am not sure how we fared in the 333 for the Morris. It included the 70 AM boats too and they had some good catches. I doubt our 33 pounds were even close.

• 2 weeks later...