thru hull vs transom mount tranducers

jay d

i am in the process of building my dream boat and on my last 2 i have had transom mount transducers.i have had to replace them boath ,one because of failure(lowrace of course) and one raymarine because the plastic tab to lock it down broke off.i am thinking of going with the thru hull this time and was wondering if the performance is better with the thru hull?what your opinion?

Performance is definitely better with a thru hull but if you trailer there is chance that you could damage it. And it would suck to break something that plugs a hole in the bottom of your boat. If not for that I would put one on.

Performance is definitely better with a thru hull but if you trailer there is chance that you could damage it. And it would suck to break something that plugs a hole in the bottom of your boat. If not for that I would put one on.

thanks,thats something i had not thought of yet:thumb:

I purchased a boat last year that had a thru hull Raymarine installed and got the finder/GPS to go with it this year. I really like it so far, but it was a big upgrade from my last one. I do trailer my boat as did the previous owner and have not had any issues, but I guess it's possible...

my raymarine does pretty good with the transom mount,now that i replaced the tranducer.it marks bottom at 35 mph over 800fow and marks fish 80 down on plane,so i guess i will probably not see much better performance but i do like the idea of no tranducer on the transom.