Fishing the Canadian side? Beware!

Apparently one needs to report to the border authority, even if you're not anchored or making landfall.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/06/baldwinsville_mans_day_of_fish.html

And our official US response

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/06/rep_william_owens_sends_letter.html

Stay tuned...depending on this plays out, it may be necessary to mobilize our representative from all along water borders, or stay content with fishing just the US side from now on!

Mabey Michigan should team up with other boarder states and cancel Canadian work visas. That would free up loads of jobs for Michigan residents alone. I know for a fact getting a Canadian work visa if you are a US resident is like winning the lottery. If you are Canadian and want a work visa in the US it is pretty easy to get. My former boss worked in the US on a Canadian work visa $50,000 a year job that a Michigan resident could have had. That guy was a horses behind not to mention a few other things too. After a few run ins with this guy I lost a ton of respect for Canada. I live 50 miles from Canada and will not go there for nothing not even fish.

WOW what abash to canada... right on lol I just wish we could have your gas prices your tackle prices your boat prices everything is cheaper but then again you keep it. I have visited a couple time it was nothign special but then again i did not notice anyone not wanting my money..

Have fun Fish Hard

Life to short

Becides we have no fish on the canadian side lol

BUT PLEASE give us a decident Hockey team

Sorry just though something should be said canada rocks

Did not mean to ruffle anyone up

Strik

WOW what abash to canada... right on lol I just wish we could have your gas prices your tackle prices your boat prices everything is cheaper but then again you keep it. I have visited a couple time it was nothign special but then again i did not notice anyone not wanting my money..

Have fun Fish Hard

Life to short

Becides we have no fish on the canadian side lol

BUT PLEASE give us a decident Hockey team

Sorry just though something should be said canada rocks

Did not mean to ruffle anyone up

Strik

Ya have a couple good teams(Montreal and Vancouver), one really good, they just havent learned how to win when it matters most. The Sedins and Luongo were a big let down IMO in addition to the many injuries on the back end for Vancouver. Plus, Thomas was just sick in goal for the Bruins!!!:thumb: Theyll be back, and im sure theyll win a Cup. Should be interesting to see how free agency shapes things up in Vancouver. Particularly with the Cap increase and the Wings needing a d man. Would love to see them pluck Bieska from the Canucks!!!:D

Hockey aside, being a Canadian, wouldnt you agree that confiscating someones boat and a big fine like because they didnt report to a canadian port that theyre fishing in canadian waters is pretty harsh. I mean, other than that, he didnt do anything wrong. Had the proper licensing to fish there. Why not a simple warning and your on your way? I think thats the issue people have here amongst the whole reporting thing being lame to start with.

Ive been to Canada fishing and outside the "snippy" border guard in the booth, my encounters were all good with Canadians. The owners of the resort were first class and the fishing on Rice Lake was equally good. Not to mention i got to watch the Wings advance from the conference finals to the cup finals while i was there that year.:thumb:

Why not a simple warning and your on your way? I think thats the issue people have here amongst the whole reporting thing being lame to start with.

Bigger issue in my mind is not whether they give him a warning or a ticket, it is the inconsistent application of policy. This guy had actually personally asked the canadian border agents previously as to the policy and was told that no anchor, no landing = no reporting necessary. Many of us on the niagara and st Larry Rivers have been told the same.

changing the rules in the middle of the game is bad enough, but these haven't even been changed.

Here is Senator Charles Schumer's letter to the Canadian authorities and further background on the case. he chairs the border and immigration subcommittee.

http://schumer.senate.gov/Newsroom/record.cfm?id=333239

Yes I AGREE IT A STUPID FINE Hopefull it can be fixed and the money returned

But come on going on about work visa and bashing like that im sure things go both ways

i have had "snippy" crossings as well

Back to hockey lol

Take a look at bostons line up i sure you will be surprized how many canadains are on the team. Should we remove thier work visa ( I cant even belive they call it work lol)

I hope all works out

I really need to go fishing lol

Strik

as i fish the geneva ohio area i will make it a point not to purchase a canada license and not fish there waters. it would just be to costly and take to much time to go all the way to land just to get permission to go a couple of miles across the border. i would hope that others will take this stance untill this matter is fully resolved.

sherman

But come on going on about work visa and bashing like that im sure things go both ways

Back to hockey lol

Take a look at bostons line up i sure you will be surprized how many canadains are on the team. Should we remove thier work visa ( I cant even belive they call it work lol)

I hope all works out

Strik

Take a look at the Canucks line up. They are mostly sweedish. Oh the humanity.

By the way, the Oh Baby team just got the same treatment yesterday heading over to the Whitby King Of The Lake Tournament. Cost them $1000 or have their boat confiscated. If this doesn't get resolved quickly I would expect to see a lot less US boat participation in Canadian Tournaments.

IMO, the Canadian Customs Agency appears to be shaking US boats down like a two bit gangster hitting businesses for "Protection Money".

Tim

Back to hockey lol

I hope all works out

Strik

If you read my post i never made any mention of work visas.;) I only expressed my views on whats happening on the water.

And as far as hockey...From the bottom of my heart...LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!