Vacation Question

Hello all,

So my wife and I relocated to Illinois three years ago and we have family come out from New Jersey on an annual basis. This year we decided to give the Lake Winnebago region a try and we picked at walleye, bass and rough fish last week. So now that the vacation is over I'm alrady looking at ideas for next year.

My wife and I own a 17ft aluminum walk-through with 115hp outboard, VHF, GPS plotter, fishfinders, trolling motor, etc. and are looking at places to go next year with the family from New Jersey.

Thus far, I have these places listed as potential spots to go:

-Hayward, WI area (Smallmouth bass, walleye and muskie) but a 7 1/2 hour drive for us

-Mille Lacs Lake, MN (Walleye factory with some good smallies too) but another 7 1/2 hour drive

-Western Basin of Lake Erie (Walleye and smallies) this is closer for our NJ family but weather can be a big

factor and I'm not at all familiar with the ports to launch from

Those are the three I have listed for now. Our family from New Jersey likes salmon trolling (which we normally do on Lake Michigan) but really likes being able to cast lures, bait fish, etc. We enjoyed Lake Winneconne and Lake Poygan up near famed Winnebago but by no means slaughtered the fish. As far as money is concerned, we try to stay within $1000 or less for lodging for four adults for 5 days. Just wondering if you guys had any other suggestions?

Big smallies, nice walleye or pike would be a treat. Hopefully, we can find a cool spot for next years retreat.

Thanks all.

Door County was nice.

My wife and I went there two years ago, pre-boat, pretty much on a whim on fourth of July weekend. I saw smallmouth bass in protected areas we weren't allowed to fish and heard of giants in the area. I caught a few small ones and enjoyed the surroundings. Definitely another thought.

Traverse City is a destination city and port. It has all you have talked about and more with the multitude of inland lakes and the 2 Grand Traverse Bay's (east and west). My 2 biggest smallies came from there 6 lbs and 5 1/4 lbs.If one bay is too windy the other should work. Plus you have Fish Town for suvenier (sp) shopping and Lake Leelanau for really good walleye and smallmouth action. The bay's are so clear you can read a watch in 18 fow on bottom. You also are just a couple of hours from Mackinac Bridge and Mackinaw City.It is a truely beautiful part of Michigan.

Door County is my vote! Sturgeon bay overs a huge variety of fishing. Salmon on the lake side, bass in sturgeon bay (plus lots more) and walleye/perch on green bay. not to mention all the other fun stuff to do including FISH BOILS!

Door County is my vote! Sturgeon bay overs a huge variety of fishing. Salmon on the lake side, bass in sturgeon bay (plus lots more) and walleye/perch on green bay. not to mention all the other fun stuff to do including FISH BOILS!

Yep what Josh said:thumb:

I am truly a Ludington MI lover and enjoy the fishing there and lots to do for the kids around town. With that being said I live on the western basin of Lake Erie. If you would stay near the Port Clinton area you can fish if the weather permits, which in a 7 day vacation this time of year you will probably be able to fish at least 4 days. On the days you can't fish you are only 30 min. away from Cedar Point the largest and best amusement park in North America. You would not be disappointed with this area.