I am going to try leadcore for the first time this year looking for some speed tips i know the faster i go the higher it runs but what is the best speed

I would keep your speed over ground on your GPS to 2.2 to 2.6 mph.

On a depth raider your most productive speed is 1.8. The only time to go any faster is if you are steelhead fishing. Sure you will catch fish faster but not nearly as many or as big. If you keep your speed right their everyday, thats one variable you will never have to think about. When I had a subtroll it was 1 3/4mph.

Edited by Nailer

I am going to try leadcore for the first time this year looking for some speed tips i know the faster i go the higher it runs but what is the best speed

I would keep your speed over ground on your GPS to 2.2 to 2.6 mph.

On a depth raider your most productive speed is 1.8. The only time to go any faster is if you are steelhead fishing. Sure you will catch fish faster but not nearly as many or as big. If you keep your speed right their everyday, thats one variable you will never have to think about. When I had a subtroll it was 1 3/4mph.

Russ...think your speed sounds about right. But it can vary from day to day with currents, target depths, lures being run. When were running leadcores and copper, usually run same size spoons...regulars, SS, magnums, etc. And each run better at certain speeds, I'll target a certain depth and run probe down on rigger to get a speed reading at that depth and trolling direction, relate that to GPS surface speed, then target that speed for starters, but experiment and let fish tell you what they want. Hope that helps.

I think that it works best about 2.5 and when you are turning the boat quite frequently. It seems like every fish that I have taken on leadcore hits when you turn the boat.

I agree. 1.8 is to slow in my book. Only time i am going that slow is for lakers on the bottom. 2.5 is my most productive speed.

No different in my book, i have fished on the big pond for 30 years and normal trolling speed with copper, lead, riggers 2.4 to 3.0 and

some days they like it at the top end depending on currents, but i

always change up on any giving day between those numbers and you will do fine..........steelhead 3.0 to 3.4 silver bullets like it fast......... Tt