ice auger RECCOMENDATION

I need some advice on an gas ice auger. I want to speend about $400 only and am wanting a 8 inch auger. Anyone have any advice? I like the prices on jiffy models but im open to any model so long as its trouble free. 90% of my fishing in on ice 8 to 12 inches thick. Unfortunatly a Niles is out of my price range. Im hoping some one can tell me from experience the problems they know or short commings of models or brands,what ever I get I will keep for many years ,so I want the best for the money. My spending price might go up some if I can talk wife into it, its taken me 3 years to get her talked into a gas model as is!!! LOL THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Im not a fan of the new augers as theyre in their infancy and have had some issues. If you can find a good used Jiffy or Strikemaster with a Tecumseh engine on it i would purchase one of those. They are fantastic units and have already proven they can stand the test of time. My Dad and Unlce have had theirs for like 30 years and ive had mine at for going on 10 years now. Reliable and can be had for 150-200 all day long. Thats the route id go and spend the remainder on whatever else you need for ice fishing. Good luck on your purchase.

I looked at some jiffey models this weekend, liked the cost but are they any good.... Im not interested in an electric at all .. but thanks for all suggestions. I just got an 89 yahama exciter with a 570 motor to use only for ice fishing in very good condition with only 2355 miles on it. Now wife wants to go as we wont be walkin 1 1/2 miles to our favorite spot. I have all the gear but gets old drilling holes by hand in 8 in to 1 foot of ice so she gave in and said get a gas auger, as I let here cut 2 holes last year and she didnt want to go agian! lol

Edited by tray19682005
add more info

Get a Lazer hand auger 6" if you are only drilling through a foot of ice it will beat anything else out there unless you are unable to use the hand auger. They are priced about $60 and I can put one through 30 inches of ice in a little over a minute. It is much lighter, makes little noise, and no gas to mess with. The 6 inch will drill an 8 inch hole. I have pulled 14 pound steelhead through the hole, unless you are after the hogs on L Superior it should be drilling big enough holes.

I've used both the strikemaster lazer and the Nils 6" hand augers. The Nils is so much better and was by far worth every penny and I would have been happy paying more for it. I used to break a sweat drilling holes, not anymore. I could drill hole after hole and not get tired, no sore arms, no sweat, and it was lightning fast. I've heard their power augers are the s**t too.

you guys really need help, its Mid June and your talking about Ice augers?
Nows the time to buy off season you get better deals! I bought all summer gear during winter so im all stocked up and now geting extras for winter fishing .And a few spoons here n there but I have gotten better deals this way just not as much inventory in stores but alot of clearance items can be found .

Like i said, the old jiffys are great augers. Yes they are good. My family has been running them for years with very little work being done on them. Clean a carb, replaces a recoil rope, simple stuff. They just keep running. Great augers. Same can be said for the Strikemasters with Techumseh engines..... If i was to buy a new auger, id probably get the Strikemaster 4 stroke Solo.

Oh, and you can never talk to much ice fishing. Its the best there is!

• 4 weeks later...
Like i said, the old jiffys are great augers. Yes they are good. My family has been running them for years with very little work being done on them. Clean a carb, replaces a recoil rope, simple stuff. They just keep running. Great augers. Same can be said for the Strikemasters with Techumseh engines..... If i was to buy a new auger, id probably get the Strikemaster 4 stroke Solo.

Oh, and you can never talk to much ice fishing. Its the best there is!

I think Adam Bomb is addicted

• 1 month later...

I had a nils power auger that wouldnt drill after 4 holes. They didnt warrenty the cutting head so now I have a strikemaster lazer pro. Ergonomically it is much nicer than the nils. Nils is quiter though. Jiffys are loudest from what I have seen. I really like the solo engine that strikemaster uses. Starts with one or two pulls and the lazer auger really drills. They sell a lazer mag for around $450.

You say you dont want electric, but i'll tell you after seeing one of the guys i worked with use an ice gator. i would never buy a gas unit. That thing is plain sweet and can cut a ton of holes, more that you would ever need to in a day in no time flat. That will be my next auger and i was against electrics at first also.

• 7 years later...

Sorry to bring this thread back around...just my two cents...to your knowledge box...

I bought an Eskimo Shark 51cc - 8 inch auger from Canadian Tire last year on sale. Best investment I have made in a while. Push the primer bulb till fuel flows through the hose. Choke and it usually starts on the first pull. Keep fingers way from the blades. Wicked sharp even after 100 holes.
Only drawback is the weight when pulling by hand on a sleigh. 
In the 70's all I had was a spud.

I also had an 8" Eskimo  https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers/  for 8 or 9 years back in Wyoming, and it always worked great for me. Just had to change the plugs from time to time, but it was very reliable. When I moved to AK last year, I sold the 8" to a buddy and bought a 10" Eskimo up here. I went with the 1.8 hp Mako (the "cheap one" from Sportsman's). After a couple dozen trips last year, I've got no complaints. It runs reliably, even on the real cold days, and cuts great. 

Having gone to a 10", I'll never go back to using an 8". The auger cuts just as fast and easily as my 8" used to (as long as you keep the blades sharp) and I like having the extra room to maneuver a big fish into the hole. Plus, if I'm fishing shallow water I like the extra visibility I get through the bigger hole.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.