Line counter on reel? (accurate)

Hello Guys, First post here for a new-bee on this site.. I just purchased a pair of Diawa 47LC reels(direct drive line counter) I spooled it up with 16lb Trilene.

For a test I measured 25 ft on the ground, marked it with a stick. Then I set the pole in a holder on the boat. (Zeroed the reel)Then released the spool and pulled out the line to my mark on the ground. (stick @ 25 ft.)

The reel measured 33 ft. ??? Performed this test several times, without drag on,clicker on,clicker off, name it I tried it.. I would assume that the reel would be more accurate than this. Tried it with both reels with the same results. Any ideas of what's the problem? (Maybe my process, Possibly bad reels?) Kinda stuck here with this.. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your Lc is based on a full spool. The more line on it the more accurate it'll be

What he said. I believe I read somewhere on here that most line counters are set up to read accurate when the reel is 3/4 full :confused: I would add more line. If you want to know exactly how much line you have out, do what you did and then keep the ratio in mind when seting the rod (so for every 25 ft of line you want out, the reel should read 33 in your case).

just remember guys it really does not matter if it accurate as long as you repeat the length out every time when you catch a fish,repeating the setup is the important thing. Just my two cents jimmy

Bingo. The actual amount of feet (for copper as an example) should generally be measured on the ground with the line counter being along for the ride. Leadcore is metered so you'll always know how much is there. Divers are a different story, but a good depth chart for your particular diver makes all the difference in getting you dialed in. I have charts for Dipsy Divers, Torpedo Divers and others blown up and laminated and put on bright paper for ease of use.

You may want to invest in a Big Water Troller's Guide.

An accurate reading is very important when running cranks if you are depending on the charts to know your running depths. I saw a video by Lance Valentine I think on youtube that explains the process he uses to calibrate his line counters. The key is if you are running multiple rods you would want them to all be the same since if you start picking up fish on one setup you would be sure the others would duplicate the same depth. Just my 2 pennies worth.

just remember guys it really does not matter if it accurate as long as you repeat the length out every time when you catch a fish,repeating the setup is the important thing. Just my two cents jimmy

totaly right about that. the counter is just a basic idea how much line is out. if its full its off on the low side as the line on the spool goes down the amount of line out changes and the counter is off on the high side. so it kinda averages out. i think i said that right. but its all about repeating the same thing that caught the fish. those diving charts are a nice place to start but it just gives you a basic idea of where your diver is at. the amount of line you have on your spool changes everything. if i go by the chart with a half full reel and you have your reel loaded they will not let out the same amount of line. i couldnt even find a chart with my set up. so i went to 50 fow and let out line until i started bumping bottom with 500 ft of 65 lb braid on my reel at 2 mph on a 4 setting. i hit bottom at 185 out. thats 2.7 ft down for every 10 ft of line out. so if i want to run 55 ft down i,ll go out 200 ft thats 20x2.7 that gives me 54 ft or go out 210 ft thats 21x2.7 gives me 56.7 ft down. but that might be off a couple of ft. but if im catching fish at 210 ft out then i just keep fishing at 210 ft out. doesnt matter if im off a couple of feet if im catching fish. does this help any??

Jim said it all it really doesnt matter how accurate if it is within a few ft of where u want to be just repeat the successful length. I have Okuma, Diawa and Shimano reels, the Tecotas are a little better than the others but for the money they should be. I cant afford 15 Tecotas so I use the less expensive Okuma and Diawa LC reels. U guys that can pay the 100 bucks plus for Tecotas more power to ya but my reels are doin fine. And I just repeat the successful lengths. U gotta remember if u lose line the spool diameter will change and the line length will change.

PS. I tried the clip on line counters that measure by line passing thru, the principal is great but they dont work on wire or power pro.

seems like were all saying pretty much the same thing. i lost about 100 ft of line off my #4 reel last year, so when i put it out i just put out an extra 10 ft of line. i was right back on the fish. if you can just get an idea of how deep your fishing just use that and adjust until you get fish. if your sopposed to go out 200 to get 50 ft down and getting no hits try 220 or 180 just whatever it takes to get fish. but you do really need some kind of guide to start by. get a diver chart or make your own like i did. we all wish you the best of luck. ask local bait shops where the fish are, most of them will give you a place to start. then ask on the radio. most guys wont answer you but there is a few that will help you get started in the right depth. and a few will even give you how far back on which setting. that will get you real close. but dont always count on getting any info on the radio.

sherman

Thanks Guys for the advice. It seems that more line was required to get an accurate reading. Did not take into account the lenght of the pole in the equation.:dntknw Seems to be a simple solution. I've been lurking for awhile now, and absorbing the great info and advice. Looking forward to my first outing. Again Thanks...

Torker, all the comments here about the line counters on reels also apply to your downriggers.

If your rigger balls show up on your sonar, set your counters to a common depth you fish per the sonar. Or you can measure on the ground to a common depth, say 60', set your counters to that depth with the line pulled to it, and then bring it in.

You'll be surprised when you retrieve the line and the counter says some odd number instead of 0. But at least if you want to go to 60', you know that setting is accurate and can "adjust" up or down from there.