Saginaw Bay 6/7 Bay City

I had Paul Vantol and Alan Mackey with me today aboard the Eyefull. We left the DNR dock at a few minutes after 8:00 am, and headed to 1 & 2 to see if any fish were out there. Never caught or saw a fish on the finder for almost an hour and a half. We put her in a southwest troll, heading for the west south west area of the black hole. We started hitting fish about half way there, first a huge flathead that required me to slow the troll for Alan to stop the dumb thing. Our first walleye came on the 80' Blood Run copper let out 200 feet beyond the copper and highlined straight off the back. After that, it all gets fuzzy, almost everything in the water caught fish. A solid third of the fish came on one of the two copper setups we ran. One problem I have to get figured out is that the fish can't really pull enough to indicate a strike with the copper off big boards, we towed a couple around at least twice on that setup. The longlined setup was much better, just back the drag off until it ticks periodically, then any fish make that sweet sound. Anyways, the normal Silver Streak Jr., and Minis in a variety of colors, mostly including pinks, chartrueses, purples, and UV's. Nascar hit a couple also. Pulling them behind the walker mini discs as normal. We also had a fish come off a slide diver and a UV Pink Silver Streak 25' back on 0. It seemed like the closer we got to the sailboat boueys, the action picked up, but the fish quality shrunk. Farther north, we only threw back maybe two. One thing we did notice is that the fish seemed to move around in the water column a few times. We would catch them deep for a while, then totally have to change everything up to the extreme opposite to get it going again. We caught them with as little as 15' lead to the diver to as much as 150' of line out. We got our three man limit around 2:00, and finished the day with a triple while pulling lines. That part didn't impress the DNR, we got a talking to about having two fish over our limit while clearing lines. Apparently taking them off your hooks is "possesion". Anyways, no ticket(thanks Chad), just a chewing out, so good day.

Here's a photo of a couple spoons that seemed to take more fish than the others, but really most of what we had in the water hit fish:

P1010956.jpg

We ended up with our three man limit of 15, including a huge flathead thrown back with maybe 7 or 8 undersized walleye, and our overpossession keepers that we tossed back while discussing case law with the DNR. Don't get me wrong, they do a thankless job out there and from his vantage point, it must have looked bad, but in the end, we reached a friendly agreement.

P1010955.jpg

I would like to thank mother nature for the absolutely glass flat water today, and for the bug salad we had all day long, really nasty hatch to go along with the 95 degree sauna. Big thanks to Alan and Paul for fishing with me today, without help right now, I am pretty much shorebound. Too much of a sissy to even fight a walleye right now! :oops:

Hoping to get back out Friday to find some fish closer to Sebewing for the tourny there this weekend. Fished the slot Sunday for a couple hours and had troubles getting them to go on spoons. May have to dust off the crawler rigs for that outing, or make the run West if the water is flat.