Perch Rods?

It's getting close to perch season on the big lake. This year I have been contemplating my rod choice. For years I have been using a graphite ultra-light rod with 4# to 6# mono. My basic setup is essentially a drop-shot rig with 2 hooks tied to a leader then attached to my main line with a small swivel. This year however, I've decided to go with a 6# braid for my main line, to give me more sensitivity. I never paid much attention to the lure weight printed on the side of my rods, but according to the rod classification, I've been using to large a sinker. My ultra-light rods have a max lure weight of 1/4 oz, and a new one I purchased has a max or 1/8 oz. Sometimes I'm using 1/2 to 3/4 oz sinker just to keep the bait down. I'm not casting this setup, just dropping it straight down. Could there be any negative effects to using an ultra-light over time? Should I be using a light action rod?

I am using ultra lites as well for perch drop shot rigs. I use mono and have not tried braid but it sounds good. I have been using some of these rods for years and I would not worry about the weight. I use rods that I like for feel and tip and don't worry about the rest.

Your ultra lights are fine for perch fishing. A lot of guy's use ultra or light action rods. I use an old 8' glass fly rod for perch. You don't want them to feel the rod when they hit.

I run my walleye jigging rods spooled with 6lb test power pro or fireline. The second rods I grab is a ultra lite 7.5 ft spooled with 2 or 4 lb fireline crystal. I have not use mono for years. On the business end I use custom tied perch rigs by yours truly. I use enough weight to keep it where I want it.

I fish perch in deep water 100' plus some times. A heavy weight is a must to get you down. I always run an ultra light rod and something that is has a low modules. I like a ultra light because you can see the bite better. And a low modules because in waves you can keep a slight bend in your rod without lifting the weight off bottom. Plus you with both it is more fun to fight the fish. I run a braid main line with a leader. There is no negative affect if you are not casting it. You reel up fish that weigh more than a ¼ oz don’t you!

One tip to help you see the bite better is to paint the tip of your rod. Take some Vaseline and coat the guides so it don't stick. Then paint it white for a base, then some high vis chartreuse, orange, or yellow.