Beware, Big Meanie Fish Report!

This is not a normal fish report from me, but yet another true story. Fished 90-145 6/5 PM out of Port Sheldon with my wife and daughter. Absolutely a perfect night. My 23 year old daughter likes driving the boat and finding the fish and does grab a pole on occasion. She calls herself the "fish manget"! Boy did she do a good job, not only found the fish in 140 FOW, but put me on one of the meanest kings I've ever tangled with for it's size. I have to tell this as maybe you might have a better story or aka "fish tale"? Kelly put us over a bunch of marks, good temp brake and instant hit on a rigger 65 down Green SD with a green froggie mag spoon. I grabbed the pole and this fished jumped at least 10 times, 3 or 4 times with mutiple 360 loops 3 to 4 foot in the air. This is with a SD and lure online hooked mind you. I was having a blast and after determining this was a King not a Steelie cause it was so far back, I wanted to boat this bad boy! Kelly ask to help net, I said sure no problem due to my wife was watching this unfold with a sort of trance, but this is where it got interesting. The fish came in 2 times seen us, and made 2 final runs. I'm saying to myself, are you ever going to give up? Nope!, said the fish. I really didn't hear em' say that, and no I don't drink or do drugs....:grin: then and only then when we got this Big Meanie to the back of the boat, Kelly takes a go at him with the net and the fish jumped out of the water, I think tried to bite her in the leg, bounced of the transom, hit the rim of the net, spit the hook and spin doc right at my head. Now believe it or not, I'd call that one mean fish!:lol: By the look of him or her I'd guess 16 lbs and believe me this fish literally jumped in the boat to apparently attack my daughter:confused:. Hey who knows, maybe it's a new cross breed with the Asian Carp? I know Kings are grumpy this time of year and do jump a bit on occasion, but this fish demands respect. I caution all fisherman to be on the lookout for the Big Meanie, maybe you've met him this year? Fun night, lots of laughs, caught fish, made memories, and enjoyed life. Does it get better than that?

PS, I named this fish Big Meanie not because I'm attached to the fish, but maybe because of the emotional scar. He or she demands respect and caution. Hope you enjoyed our fish tale. Watch out Big Meanie may bite your line next!

Live well,

Dan

Way to go Dan!!!! I knew you had the best crew on the water. Doesn't get any better than getting out with the Fam..Maybe next time we get out we can put a couple of those "mean ones" in the box.....

take care,

Bob

I would advise against going sword fish fishing any time soon.

You ran into Moby King. Many think Moby King does not exist, but Moby King is real and cannot be caught. Moby leaves a trail of stories and wreckage.

I hooked him in 2002 in front of Saugy. Thunderstick off a yellow bird, 30# line. Lure was 50' out, board 50' from there. Fish hit, board literally bounced across the top like a skipping stone, counter went to 600'+. Got it back to 300', then back to 600', got it to 300', and then it went to over 700'. Finally got it headed in, in the mean time a slide diver got hit. I was the only other person on the boat, so I grabbed that, cranked the drag down, winched in a 15# king in about 10 seconds and pulled it over the stern like a crappie on a cane pole, threw the whole works in the cabin. Guy fighting Moby looked at me like "WTF" was that all about? We finally got Moby to the point where we got the yellow bird off the line, less than 50' to go, and the walleye crap hook on the T-stick gave up and broke. Moby spun a slow 180 and swam just under the surface going the other way. Honestly, that fish was all of 30#.

See, I knew it! Others have encountered this beast. Moby King, that's great Kevin. I have caught a 30lb King and while this fish was so strong, fast and we were in such terror, I may not have identified him as you say. Maybe that would explain why he jumped on the boat, trying to sink us. Do you think I could tell my wife I need a bigger boat now? 30' Tiara with a harpon out the back! :thumb: I have began to wonder if we need to research this monster. If anyone else has hooked or seen Moby King, or Big Meanie, let me know. I'm considering going back after him this week. I might go to MC Sports and get some football gear to protect whoever is on my boat and wants to try and net him again.

PS, if you have a story let me know, I may end up having to write a book on this one or contact Discovery Channel........

haha thats great... I feel like we had big meanie on in Ludington. He hit our 200 copper and didnt stop. He took every inch of line we had with hime without stopping. So we waved goodbye to our wolverine spoon, planerboard, and line.... We always carry extra football/hockey equipment with us because of big meanir. ;)

Hey Guys;

I have thought about some of your comments, suggestions, thoughts and this picture that hopefully I posted correctly, is of my idea for my new combat fishing prototype to go get Big Meanie again! Armor plating, fore and aft guns with a turret gun on the armored plated cuddy. Note this will also solve the problem if Asian Carp get to us. Notice the picture of a simulated Big Meanie attack at the transom. Bummer is I figure I will have to move from a 8 HP four stroke kicker to about a 200 HP kicker and figure how to mount on the transom? Imagine this for the new "Great Lakes Fishing" model boat.

What do ya' think? I hope all can see this picture, if not tell me and I will try to repost.

picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=459

Nice story Dan and really why not let him grow up into a really big meany. At least u had a good laugh and brought home the bacon er fish. Due to work and weather I wont get out until the end of next week. Hope to do some trollin and some perchin then.

Hey Guys;

I have thought about some of your comments, suggestions, thoughts and this picture that hopefully I posted correctly, is of my idea for my new combat fishing prototype to go get Big Meanie again! Armor plating, fore and aft guns with a turret gun on the armored plated cuddy. Note this will also solve the problem if Asian Carp get to us. Notice the picture of a simulated Big Meanie attack at the transom. Bummer is I figure I will have to move from a 8 HP four stroke kicker to about a 200 HP kicker and figure how to mount on the transom? Imagine this for the new "Great Lakes Fishing" model boat.

What do ya' think? I hope all can see this picture, if not tell me and I will try to repost.

picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=459

And then pay for the fuel for that monster. I rode something similar in Vietnam and they suck down the Diesel.