harbor trollers

Fishing has been great at Frankfort this summer. With the spawn nearing, the action in and around the piers has increased and also has been very productive. Consequently, the traffic in the river and piers is heavy at times between trollers, anchored jiggers, and people trying to get in and out of the harbor. I watched someone this weekend run out of the harbor right over another guys board and then call him on the radio to get the hell out of the way. I just wondered who has the right-of-way in this whole mess? Personally, I just try to steer clear of all of it and keep my boat off plane until I clear the pack in front.

From what I have always understood in navigation classes etc, it is illegal to fish or obstruct a navigable waterway. Most of the CG's and local law enforcment in our area have never really pushed the issue, none that I have ever seen anyways unless there was intollerable behavior involved. With that in mind, IMO, the guy trying to get out of the harbor has the right of way.

Here is the way I see it. The guy fishing in the harbor should not have been using boards. Common sence tells me it is not a good practice. Riggers and dipsy's in close to the boat would be exceptable. Given that, the slower or trolling boat should have the right of way, the passing boat has a better chance at anticipating the coarse of the troller and should respect his lack of manuverability.

I hooked up with a passing boat this past weekend, we were both trolling the harbor. My dipsy hooked his rigger rod and the battle was on. I won with the fireline! Cut his line and passed by him to toss his plug to him. He appologized and I said "no problem, thats combat fishing". Really was no ones fault, it is going to happen when you put many trollers in a small area of water.

Rick

The guy running the boards was outside the harbor trolling the mouth and the other guy literally drove over his board which was reasonably close. I went last night and there was much less traffic and a lot more courtesy toward fellow anglers. I was releasing all my kings ( a great way to teach my fiance' how to net) and boy was I glad. When we came in, the fish cleaning station was CLOSED...8:46pm. Lots of fish jumping in the river.

hey all just my two cents worth

Either way, catfish hog is correct weather you are in the harbor or within a 1/4 mile you dont run boards as not only will you run into other fishermen, but rather the sail boats will cut you off and not bat an eyelash once they hit the water around mid mornining.

• 1 month later...

This was my first time combat fishing in Oswego Harbor last month. I went out twice and will never do that again. I kept my 2 riggers 10-20 ft. behind the boat & couldn't believe how many guys were running long leads. It was a real zoo with guys trolling across the flow of traffic, cutting you off, pushing others toward the breakwalls, and not giving an owl's hoot about others. There's plenty of room to fish if everyone would circle the harbor like normal people. Gimme the wide open spaces any day. I love lake fishing.

I will run boards where and when I want. That is the risk you take. The extra fish it puts in the boat are worth replacing a board or two a year. Plus it gives extra breathing room so that morons that hook dipseys on another boats rigger lines will think twice about coming that close. 50# power pro will rip through mono like a hot knife through butter!

It is not illegal to fish in a high traffic area or a narrow channel. However sport fishing does not give you any leeway over others either. You would count as a power vessel with the common right of way and clearance rules in the Rules of the Road regs being the practice to follow.

You may not anchor in a channel however.

And the channel in fact extends beyond the end of the piers to an area clear of channel traffic.

BTW...a sailboat has no more right of way than a motor boat while in a channel or while running an alternate power source (gas/diesel) with it's sails.

Combat fishing can and does even give a bashfull guy like me the fits at times. The attitude of "screw everyone else, I'm gittin mine at anyones cost" seems to rule the day for a few so called sportsman. You either gotta be ready to loose a few lures, or go fish open water. (heck, most the time you'll catch more in the open waters when you are all alone anyhoo).

Good Luck!