What size Stinger?

Naive, new guy question, but... I was looking at this thread and couldn't help but notice that stingers are VERY popular. Are your talking scorpions or magnums? (For salmonids, not walleyes). The reason I ask is because the scorpions seem pretty small for the fish I want to target (to my inexperienced eyes) and I don't want to make an expensive, unproductive mistake...

Thanks in advance,

Brian

I use both sizes and both are productive at different times of the year, early spring the standard stinger is the ticket for coho and browns and the spring Kings will take them too. Most of the rest of the year we go with the Magnum stingers. They are very productive. I personally am not stuck on 1 make of spoon, I use several. They all work, Its the old addage they catch the fisherman then he catches fish. Presentation, depth and speed are the most important part of the presentation. However I do try to present a spread of the same color and patterns on all of the rods, except the ones I target for Lake Trout. This spring some sort of yellow and orange or red has been the best for me when fishing for Kings, Coho it was body baits and copper or gold with red were killer. So It is important to have a good selection but if u find 1 that is hitting get more of the same or similar down there in the active zone.

Early in the year I pull mainly the regular size stingers, however once the kings show up in July and Auguest, it is almost all Stingrays and Magnum stingers. (mainly Stingrays)

I have found that the stingray size works very well on all copper rigs--better (I think) than the regular size or magnum.

Begin with a variety of color combinations and then once you find what is working load up with that flavor.

I generally like lean on the side of bigger. I seem to catch shakers on magnum spoons just as well as on smaller spoons. Like the previous posts I run small spoons high for steel and all big spoons down Deeper for kings and lakers. The stingray and magnum sizes are both a solid choice but for me I seem to find myself always prefering the magnums when I'm picking baits outta the box. Hope this helps.

I agree with everything I have read here. Remember that every day is different and I have had many days that a certain color was hot and the only other spoon I had of the hot color was a different size. Normally the different size works well also. Also remember that your whole spread produces the final result and your hot lure could be producing because of something else close to it or because nothing else is close to it. Duplicate if you can and don't change a combination that is producing.

If i had to start all over again buying spoons id buy mostly stingrays...i only have about 200lbs of spoons lol....stingers have there place for steelhead coho and browns especially..... using the small ones ie scorpions; is mostly unnessasary except for walleyes and late october when the steelhead are feeding on very tiny alewives but most people dont even fish the big lake then.....if all your fishing is in july and august id go with alot of mags.....but then again stingrays cover alot more all around aps....last week my best two spoons were stingrays on the riggers and good ole standard size pro kings.........