rigger weights question

What do you guys think would be better, 10lb shark weights or 12lb finned cannon balls? I've got a chance to get a pair of either for the same price. Do you guys think the sharks would run just as deep as the cannonballs easier because of less blowback?

thanks,

mrhookup

sharks all the way. i have 10 lb and 15 lb sharks. 10s for shallow and 15s for deep. I got mine before the price went nuts on them. less blow back with the sharks than the 12 lb finned i used to have. The only other weights i would consider now are the 15.5 torpedos from atomic flies, not the torpedo divers ones.

atomic downrigger weights:

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/ttw.htm

edit

i would buy them just because of a good price on them.

The thing I do not like about the shark type is that they do not fit into the cannonball holders on the downriggers so there is no good way to keep them from bouncing all over when they are out of the water. I have not noticed much difference in blowback between any style of downrigger weight, so until I find something that does not blowback as much I will stay with cannonballs. Besides, it gets expensive experimenting with different types.

personaly i like the pancake type weights myself. i have 2 10# and 4 13# which i use now. they arent even in the same class as the balls. some of the coating came loose on one of the 10# ones and i repaired it with hot glue. but they are still in pretty good shape. if you might want them i only want 35.00 for them shipped to you.

sherman

Lost two last trip out.Bought two new 12lb Daneilsons.How do you keep them in the craddle?On my smaller boat I put two eye hooks and made a small bungi to put across them.Any other ideas are welcome.Did not mean to hyjack the thread.

I have both and to be totally honest, there isnt as much deference as you might think. I like my sharks 1o lb and they dont have as much blowback but not enoughf to justify the extra set of weights cost. I generaly only run my sharks and they are less current sensative.as far as storage I use an s hook half way down my big jon boom offset and attached with 2 hose clamps,it keeps it in place.

I have both and to be totally honest, there isnt as much deference as you might think. I like my sharks 1o lb and they dont have as much blowback but not enoughf to justify the extra set of weights cost. I generaly only run my sharks and they are less current sensative.as far as storage I use an s hook half way down my big jon boom offset and attached with 2 hose clamps,it keeps it in place.

great idea thanks. i also have big jon,s. i,ll try and figure that out. you could,nt maby pm me some pictures could you?? i hate to intrude on his thread.

sherman

Hey Kevin get the 12# balls. I use 12# balls on the long arm riggers and 15# Pancake wts on the shortarm for the deep presentation. I also have 8# balls for early spring shallow water fishing where blowback is not a problem.

My boat is ready to go and when u guys are ready let me know.

Hey Kevin get the 12# balls. I use 12# balls on the long arm riggers and 15# Pancake wts on the shortarm for the deep presentation. I also have 8# balls for early spring shallow water fishing where blowback is not a problem.

My boat is ready to go and when u guys are ready let me know.

Well the guys I was going to get the 12lb cannon balls from only ended up having 1 but he had a pair of 14lb for the same price so I took them. I think they'll be a good solid weight. And Mike how does next weekend look? You think the fishing will still be on even though it's the first weekend of June?

Well the guys I was going to get the 12lb cannon balls from only ended up having 1 but he had a pair of 14lb for the same price so I took them. I think they'll be a good solid weight. And Mike how does next weekend look? You think the fishing will still be on even though it's the first weekend of June?

Should be open weather permitting, I plan on fishing at least once this weekend an evening trip. Gotta work Sat., Sunday and Monday, but should be short days. If weather permits we can plan Saturday the 4th. I will call u and firm up.

Should be open weather permitting, I plan on fishing at least once this weekend an evening trip. Gotta work Sat., Sunday and Monday, but should be short days. If weather permits we can plan Saturday the 4th. I will call u and firm up.

sounds good