vhf marine radio

Working on makins some additions to our smaller boat and I'm wanting to add a marine radio for safety reasons. I'm trying to decide between a handheld battery operated model or a permanent mount with an antennae. My questions are does anyone have any experience with handheld vhf radios? Do they have a good enough range for use on lake michigan out to say 120' in the Port Sheldon/Grand Haven area and still have a good reception? How much power does a simple permanent mount vhf radio draw? Is it enough to require a seperate battery to operate? Thanks for any help.

mrhookup

I'd recommend a permanent mount with a fixed antenna. You can probably get setup for under $200. No need for a separate battery. Listening they don't use that much power, only when transmitting. I have a basic standard horizon which I like for its fairly clear sounding speaker. There are a lot of inexpensive and good quality units available:

http://www.boemarine.com/category/bb42629e-82be-497e-9e80-d5bebfdc48dd/vhf---fixed-mount?SO=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH

-- Bud

for a permanent mount vhf then I need an antennae. It seems like 8ft is a pretty standard size. Is one this large necessary or would something smaller like either of these still give you enough transmitting power/range

http://www.boemarine.com/products/5216/shakespeare-vhf-15in-5216-ss-black-whip-antenna---bracket-included

http://www.boemarine.com/products/5215/shakespeare-5215-3--stainless-steel-whip-antenna

thanks

Get the tallest antenna you can use on your boat. The taller the antenna the better the transmission will be. Also is you have GPS you can hook it up to the radio and use the DSC feature. Which when it is fully working on lake Michigan(2012) a push of a button on your radio it will send your position and ID to the coast guard.

The smaller hand held units I would only consider for line of site.

for a permanent mount vhf then I need an antennae. It seems like 8ft is a pretty standard size. Is one this large necessary or would something smaller like either of these still give you enough transmitting power/range

Did a quick search to see what sort of boat we are talking about. This is you right?

DSCF2022.jpg

I would think anything other than that whip antenna might be more trouble then anything. Maybe someone with a similar small boat willchime in with some ideas. -- Bud

I would definitely suggest an 8' antenna. VHF radio is line of site so the higher the signal the longer the range. I use this one:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=15966&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10103&subdeptNum=10278&classNum=10279

And have been very happy with it. Some of my friends use it also. I just have a cheap Uniden Solara radio and have been able to transmit from Muskegon to Pt. Sheldon on some days. If you want you can even use a RAM mount so that it can be removed if you want to take it off for using the boat inland.

I also have the solara model about $1oo. and a galaxy antenna and I can hear conversations from Ludington to muskegion on a clear day occasionaly!!!If you have bench seats I would suggest an 8ft antenna mountd on seat top with a ratchet mount tight agianst gunwall. You can use the rubber mounts for stern light to secure antenna tightly so its out of the way and secure ,they are cheap and work great, thats what I did on my lil 14ft. I strongly suggest the rubber light holders to secure antenna as I didnt do this at first and when getting into boat it was getting steped or kicked alot and Not something im willing to chance my life on being damaged. I have the solara also in my 19ft starcraft holiday mounted high and forward of windshield and as I mentioned i get great reception with a 1o ft galaxy antenna.

Did a quick search to see what sort of boat we are talking about. This is you right?

DSCF2022.jpg

I would think anything other than that whip antenna might be more trouble then anything. Maybe someone with a similar small boat willchime in with some ideas. -- Bud

Yup that's mine, I'm gonna work on some ideas this weekend to see if I can make an 8' antenna work

I also have the solara model about $1oo. and a galaxy antenna and I can hear conversations from Ludington to muskegion on a clear day occasionaly!!!If you have bench seats I would suggest an 8ft antenna mountd on seat top with a ratchet mount tight agianst gunwall. You can use the rubber mounts for stern light to secure antenna tightly so its out of the way and secure ,they are cheap and work great, thats what I did on my lil 14ft. I strongly suggest the rubber light holders to secure antenna as I didnt do this at first and when getting into boat it was getting steped or kicked alot and Not something im willing to chance my life on being damaged. I have the solara also in my 19ft starcraft holiday mounted high and forward of windshield and as I mentioned i get great reception with a 1o ft galaxy antenna.

do you have a link to what these rubber mounts look like? thanks