24 V trolling motor

My dad just bought a motorguide 24v trolling motor. I"m not sure about the model. He was wondering about the best way to wire this. We are trying to mount it on the Grady White and Battery space is an issue. I know nothing about this so here is a laundry list of questions.

1.) I thought I saw 24v batteries. Are there and are they deep cycle?

2.) Would one 24V battery be better than two 12v wired together?

3.) If you wire two 12 v and one went down could the motor be powered with one without damage?

4.) Are there limitations on the length of wiring? Can we run a wire the 17' or so to the back of the boat?

5.) As a seperate set-up should we install a breaker bar or switch?

Thanks guys.

My dad just bought a motorguide 24v trolling motor. I"m not sure about the model. He was wondering about the best way to wire this. We are trying to mount it on the Grady White and Battery space is an issue. I know nothing about this so here is a laundry list of questions.

1.) I thought I saw 24v batteries. Are there and are they deep cycle?

2.) Would one 24V battery be better than two 12v wired together?

3.) If you wire two 12 v and one went down could the motor be powered with one without damage?

4.) Are there limitations on the length of wiring? Can we run a wire the 17' or so to the back of the boat?

5.) As a seperate set-up should we install a breaker bar or switch?

Thanks guys.

Hey Jason

To answer your first question (optima) makes a 24 v deep cycle batterie and it would take up less space then two 12 v batteries series together

to answer question 3 the answer is no. you will burn up your trolling motor running it at 12 v and my guess that it would not evern turn the motor.

that should take care of question 2 as well.

to answer question 4 yes there are limitations when running long lenghts of wire but your boat is not so long that as long as you run an #8 awg you should be fine. if you want to feel even fuzzier inside run 6 awg from the back of the boat.

and question 5 always put a switch or breaker in as a disconnecting means for working on it that way you have a way of shutting power at the unit if need be. Hope this helps. good luck.