No start - just a clicking noise

N II Deep is down and out. No starter engagment.

when I started to prep the boat the night before I always put the muffs on and let it purr in the driveway for 5 mins or so.

well the batteries were low, but I did get it to turn over just not enough to get a good crank, about two turns of the motor and then a small cough/pop. not uncommon for this boat on a cold startup.

after charging the batteries, removing/cleaning the cables, then replacing one battery here is where it at.

just a clicking noise,:mad: also the motor is locked up. I removed the belts, thinking I should be able to turn the crank, nothing moves.

could the starter be stuck in the engage position?

I'm going to remove the starter Tuesday night unless some else has something I should look for first.

Need to get it back up running by Thursday, as I have a group that plans on fishing Friday AM.

I agree with Tony try to tap on the starter with a hammer but don't beat the heck out of it. And turn the key at the same time, but don't do it to many times it should only take a few taps ,if that does not do it then take off the starter.

while doing this make sure the pos cable by the stater don't get too hot. You can also take the plugs out, take a clothes pin and number 1-4 starting in the front and working your way hook it to each book so you don't mess up the order putting them back on .Or you can take a socket and breaker bar and turn it over at the crank bolt.unhook the battery first.

luremaker

I had that with my boat and feared the worst that it was hydro locked or seized. It was the starter. The little pinion gear got stuck out and jammed in the flywheel. Of course the motor would not turn and the starter just clicked.

I pulled the starter and I could now turn the crankshaft with a johnson bar and socket. Got the starter rebuilt and all is well. No real damage to the flywheel. the pinion gear was shattered and had to make sure I found all the pieces.

Edited by FsnMachine
spelling

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Pulled starter - gear had wear nothing I would not expect for 1st time being out of motor, its a 1987 Mercrusier.

already had the belts off so I tried to turn the motor, nothing moves.

Pulled all the plugs, tried again, nothing moves.

anything is possible, but by chance could the timing chain brake and is jammed up?

when I last tried to start the motor, it did crank over 2-3 times then a small backfire.

I started to tear about the front half of the motor. I have the water pump, power steering, and alt off and out of the way. I have removed the pulleys from in front of the timing cover. Hope to get the cover off Wednesday night to take a look at the chain. its dark now - a little hard to see...:(

any other Ideas?

if it rolled over a few times then its not hydrolock. in the years i have spent working on cars and semis i havent see it yet that a timing chain breaks and locks up a motor either but it could happen. could be a crank shat or connecting rod issue which is costly. jon feel free to give me a call if you want at 269 720 5751 and maybe i might be able to give you some ideas plus i am in the dorr area just about everyday.

i know this really doesnt help you right now but thought i would let you know some of us have been there. once i had a engine lock up because the cam broke. and about 8 yrs ago i had one lock up and it was the top gears in the outdrive on my mercruiser. i just hope you didnt spin a rod bearing. back years ago before rock when i was doing alittle raceing i seen that happen a few times. (i would have said lol but there just isnt anything funny.) that locks them up right now. im afraid that may be your problem. we all are thinking about you. good luck and keep us posted.

sherman

Pulled outdrive, still not able to turn the motor. Dis is really starting to bite. Won't be able to touch it againtill Monday

Jon, after talking with you, I'm wondering if the rear freeze plug didn't blow out and get into the flywheel?

this really sucks for you. i feel your pain. we need to be fishing. if there was anything i could do to help i would.

i put my boat in the marina last oct. told them to check it out and winterize it. i still dont have it back. i went out there 3 weeks ago and was told they had to get some parts. they got 2 alternators 2 new belts 1 raw water pump and 1 pully and 1 starter and was told they would get to it as soon as they could. we are going to have it out this week.

Good luck. Plan to have motor torn down by Monday

this really sucks for you. i feel your pain. we need to be fishing. if there was anything i could do to help i would.

i put my boat in the marina last oct. told them to check it out and winterize it. i still dont have it back. i went out there 3 weeks ago and was told they had to get some parts. they got 2 alternators 2 new belts 1 raw water pump and 1 pully and 1 starter and was told they would get to it as soon as they could. we are going to have it out this week.

Motor is pulled. Thanks Ryan and Kenneth

Monday hope to get it on a stand and torn down

More to come.

Any local guys want to loan a stand?

Otherwise going to go buy one Monday

jon i might have a extra stand i'll check tomorrow if i do i can drop it off on my way up to kentwood in the late am early afternoon

This is another reason I subscribe to this site. We may not fix your problem but someone is always ready to lend a hand or loan a tool. Good job Dan. Jon hope u solve your problem. I know how u feel lost lower main shaft in the lower unit last fall and missed 2 weeks in August.