Whats Your Favorite Brand of Spoons

GLF

Whats Your Favorite Brand of Spoons?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Whats Your Favorite Brand of Spoons?

• Dreamweaver
    • Fishlander
    • Fuzzy Bear
    • Magna Dyne
    • Moonshine
    • Northern King
    • Raider
    • Stinger
    • Wolverine
    • Other - Please specify in post.

I voted Moonshine, but stinger would be a close second. Flounder Pounder and Mongolian beef were my best producers for MS. NBK and mixed veggies took honers for Stingers. I like how durable the Moonshines are I just wish they weren't so expensive.

I'm not going to endorse any one company. No body is giving me anything or endorsing me so I am free to carry and use what works and I carry many brands. My three favorites however and the main companys I use are Yeck, Warrior and Dreamweaver. Each company seems to have it flavor of the week and if you have the same color from several different brands one may work better than the other. My greatest concern when I pick a spoon and really like it is if I will be able to get that spoon again in the future. Being we fish out of Ludington and Captain Chucks stocks the three main companys I use I usually have no problem. As far as picking a favorite-I'll fish a Yeck Fireball and Mag DW Tournament tip until they pry it from my dead hands. Half the time who cares as long as the hook is sharp, the temp and speed are right and your in the area the fish are. The guy I fish with have fished a long time and they are as good as I am at picking lures.

I use a few of just about all the brands in the poll. I think that using different brands(size, weight, thickness) really help dial in to the fish. A Stinger NBK can be hot, while a NBK pattern in another brand wont be.

2 spoons that are ALWAYS in the water on my boat when fishing Lake Michigan are a Standard Size Mauler with orange/Blue crush tape on belly(Usually on Leadcore), and a Moonshine Blue Flounder Pounder(Usually on a rigger).

On Superior for Lakers, it a SS Mag Greasy Chicken Wing.

Stingers here. NBK or frogs. BTW: What is up w/ Michigan guys using so much blue? Here in Ontario, you couldn't catch a cold w/ blue. Once in a while I throw them out and still nothing. Must be water color or something. It just blows my mind!

Stingers here. NBK or frogs. BTW: What is up w/ Michigan guys using so much blue? Here in Ontario, you couldn't catch a cold w/ blue. Once in a while I throw them out and still nothing. Must be water color or something. It just blows my mind!

Our productive spoons will also vary from port to pot. :confused:

Grab the killer dolpin and give it a try. Its one of my favorites. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like every year it changes. Two years ago you could not keep a Micheal Jackson down. Last year now that I bought a dozen Micheal Jacksons you could wash them all day every day and never get a hit. Last year green dolphins and sister sledge. Mabey I should give the Micheal Jacksons a grave.

Although i will use anything that catches fish, i mostly use Shure Hit Bait/Alderton Tackle's Marauder. It comes in three sizes and is made locally in Racine. Its been around for a long time, just not huge marketing. He is a link to a older picture of the magnum size. I like the offset hook, something different for the fish. If i get to the boat soon i can take some pictures of more recent designs if anyone is interested.

MAGNUMS.JPG

Although i will use anything that catches fish, i mostly use Shure Hit Bait/Alderton Tackle's Marauder. It comes in three sizes and is made locally in Racine. Its been around for a long time, just not huge marketing. He is a link to a older picture of the magnum size. I like the offset hook, something different for the fish. If i get to the boat soon i can take some pictures of more recent designs if anyone is interested.

I noticed some of the spoons have the little flipper. Swedish Pimple made a spoon called Laker Taker, that also used a flipper. Their flipper was on the split ring along with the hook. I still have some, and have taken Kings on them.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No single manufacturer stands above the rest. They each have a spoon I have in my arsenal and can not be substituted by another. How about a list of makers and survey which spoon they make is your favorite and under what conditions?

Stingers in st joe!

Fish lemon lime on sunny days the regular size or the sting ray. Last year 2011 the hottest spoon in the water was the yellow natural born killer (ynbk)

admiral hook

Welcome Kyle to GLF, great way to pass the time befor the fishing starts!!!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...