Setting up multiple rods on the same side

Well with the boat running I'm going to be trying to tweak the setup to make it run as smoothly as possible. The first trip out i only ran one lead core per side, one wire dipsey per side, and downriggers of the corners. At one point I tried to add a dipsey on powerpro and a 10' rod (the wire rods are 8.5') but ended up with a tangle before I even got it out all the way:(. Given, my dad had accidentally started turning in the fog and the SD on the dipsey going in as close to the wire rod but I'm wondering what my approach to adding lines to the spread or resetting lines should be (especially high divers or short cores that will run outside of lines that are already in the spread).

Thanks for the help.

one nice thing is you might find some guys on here willing to let you go out with them to see how they do it if you ask nicely. when i started fishing the central basin moving from the western basin i didnt have a clue. had never even seen a dipsy diver except hanging on hooks in the stores. a friend of mine bought a boat from a charter capt. then we got together and chartered him out a couple of times. i still dont know alot but i did learn enough to run 8 dipsy,s and 4 riggers and 2 outriggers with long lines. and i do atleast catch some fish. enough that we all have fun. so thats the best way to learn, is for someone to show you how. good luck and good fishing.

sherman

It get easier after a few trips. Let the outside diver out the back 10-20' and let it pull around the wire. Put your wire at 90 deg. to the water.

Let the diver go back by loosing the drag. Let the diver creep out. It will pull out as it's going down.

We use #1 setting on inside, and 2.5 on the out.

cores are easy. Straight out the back, hook a board on, let way back, the let them pull around. I may have some time after the Holiday, where I may be able to take you out.

Edited by Nailer

It get easier after a few trips. Let the outside diver out the back 10-20' and let it pull around the wire. Put your wire at 90 deg. to the water.

cores are easy. Straight out the back, hook a board on, let way back, the let them pull around. I may have some time after the Holiday, where I may be able to take you out.

i think thats a great offer on your part. you just dont get offers like this every day. things like this is a big part of why im glad i got in this forum. there really is some good people on here. i wish i had been on here when i first started the central basin. as a matter of fact sometime in june i may try to find a couple of open seats at geneva ohio for walleye. or see if some of you guys would let me just go along for the ride. so i might learn alittle more. i would be willing to pay my part just to go back to school.LOL. and catch a few fish.

sherman

What Ken said, let your deep diver out but set it in a paralell to the water rod holder and just let the drag creep out slowly while u set up another rod, the clickers should be on so u can hear them go out. I usually set the riggers and cores first, then the dipseys. But thats just personal preference. Be sure your deepest presentations are closer to the boat, set your deep divers on 1 to 1.5 and your high divers on 2.5 to 3. The biggest thing is get the rods down paralell to the water. I run a V presentation on all my stuff. 4 riggers inside ones set deepest, the shallower ones are the longarm gunwale riggers. Just an example would be set your deep riggers at the bottom range of where u want to fish and your u shallow riggers in the mid to top range. I run 6 long lines and my preference is 300' 45# copper in close on a Walleye board, then a 10 color 27# lead core then 4, 5 or 6 color. that gives u a good spread on the boards. The wire divers will be set on 1.5 and get down to the bottom of the spread. In 70 FOW I will usually try to get them down 55 to 60 ft about 100 ft of wire. The High divers will be set on 3 and usually out 150 to 160.

Good luck hope this helps some.

Set your high diver first, until you get the hang of where it settles in in relation to your other gear, then start setting it up out the back and walk the rod between leadcore and low diver. It's like anything else, takes practice. It's no picnic running 4-5 boards/side but once you do it a few times it becomes second nature.

We do almost exactly what Nailer said. although we like to set the dipseys first because we seem to catch the most fish on those, so we figure we should get that out first. Definitly have the deeper stuff closer to the boat or you WILL have tangles. Its just common sense to have the deeper close. But good luck with your setup next time you get out.

I just tried letting out multiple dipsies on one side yesterday, just to see if I could do it (only two people on the boat, wanted a set of long lines instead) and the key is letting them out slow. Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, maybe it doesnt even make a difference, but it seems to on my boat, but I don't to let out my dipsies when I'm making a turn. Seems like more often than not the moment I try that something is bound to get tangled in it. Hope it works better for ya next time out.

I just tried letting out multiple dipsies on one side yesterday, just to see if I could do it (only two people on the boat, wanted a set of long lines instead) and the key is letting them out slow. Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, maybe it doesnt even make a difference, but it seems to on my boat, but I don't to let out my dipsies when I'm making a turn. Seems like more often than not the moment I try that something is bound to get tangled in it. Hope it works better for ya next time out.

yea that! always be running straight when your putting out lines. it just works best. heres my set up. rod holders sticking straight out to the side. take a 10' rod i went to 50 fow used lite bite slide diver stock weight small ring 65 lb braid 2 mph. on #4 setting. let out line untill bumping bottom. took 185 ft. out to hit bottom thats 3.7 ft per every 10 ft of line out to hit bottom so now i have my dive curve. i want to run around 55 down. so 55x3.7= 203ft of line out. this one goes in front holder then a 9' rod on #3 setting 20 ft less=183 it goes in the middle holder. then a 8 ft rod on #2 setting 20 ft less=163 out. this gives me 3 rods at approx. 55 ft deep. if you catch a fish or your diver just trips on one of the outside rod, you can put it back out. most of the time without getting tangled. start out as far over on the other side of the boat as you can go without getting in lines. with clicker on start letting it out at a smooth steady pace. when you have about 10 ft to go put your thumb on spool to slow it down alittle then just take the rod over the back rod or rods and put it in its holder. check footage and set it on the footage you want. its really not as bad as it sounds after youve done it a time or two.just remember to get your dive curve on your #4 setting then set the next #3 20' less. then the #2 20' less than that one. i already have my dive curve so if i want to run 65 ft i go 65x3.7=240 ft out. i like to stagger the rods, they are just eaiser to run but you can run same length rods just fine. and i say always use a braid line for your main line and atleast 50 lb. and if you can set them up this way have the tip of the middle rod a couple of in higher than the back rod then the front one higher than the middle rod. if you really want to go deep use the light bite slide diver and you can get a 4 oz weight and a large ring. just remember to get your dive curve for that set up. i could give you more tips on getting deep but this is already way to long. and i really hope it helps you catch fish. check out slidediver.com watch the video.....sherman....i got this set up going out on a lake erie central basin walleye charter a couple of times. and i still reccomend everybody that can go out on a charter running his lines the way you want to learn, atleast once.