Change those hooks!!

Do you change out the stock hooks that come on your spoons?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change out the stock hooks that come on your spoons?

• Always, The minute they come out of the package!!!
    • I sharpen the hooks, but do not change them!!
    • Nope, I do not change them they are good enough for me!

Depends on the spoon, there are some that come with good hooks out of the package (ie JP slammers) and some that come with crap hooks. If I don't like the hooks, I change them out with VMC's. Same goes for flies and plugs.

I don't change them but I do sharpen them every time they go in the water. That has make a world of difference. You would be surprised how dull hooks are coming out of the package. Stingers are the worst. So just to be sure each one is tested and sharpened before use.

• 1 month later...

I sharpen everything.

Spoons I don't bother changing them out, but I do sharpen each one - doesn't matter the brand.

On flies, the only ones I don't mess with are BW. They pay attention to hooks.

All other brands I change out to single Gama number 4 with a bass style trailer. Works awesome. Hook up ratios went way up when I did this a few years back.

• 1 month later...

Nice posts and great discussion Dave. I too try to check out the sharpness of the new lure hooks. Routinely, at the dock, with spare time, check to see if the hook will hang in your fingernail, if not, it needs sharpening or replacement, depending on the brand. Those Japaneese red hooks they used on flies and some lures, don't care for them, lost way too many fish. VMC and Eagle Claws are my favs.. Look at the tines too, esp. at this time of year with the big ones being taken daily, it makes ALL the difference. I have some files I like, but usually use a cordless electric sharpener with a diamond abrasive inside, just ducky, and so easy too. That extra couple of minutes to check, can make all the difference in catching, or releasing back. Very important post not many think of, till it's too late.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ace high plugs get changed right out of the box and don't see the water. Too many times they have bent on us in the past. For the money spent on these lures you'd think the manufacturer would use a quality component

• 11 months later...
What do you guys use to sharpen your hooks?

There actually is a hook sharpening file that looks like an ink pen(pull off the silver cover to expose the grooved file rod). I have four of them, but all have bee too worn to read who makes them. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

When we fish tournaments, everything has a brand new owner on it... They make a difference. Every fish counts. Flys and spoons both. The only thing I won't touch are brand new big weenie flys. Even those get retied with a new hook after a year. I will say... When we are out prospecting, its not as important and we'll try a lot of other lures with whatever hook they have on them. If it ends up being hot-- it might get a new hook.

I replace them if they are bad but a hook that has not been comprimised from being bent or rust should be fine. sharpen then every time I put one on. I have a very fine small flat file right on the boat. takes less then a minute to hone a hook if you have done it enough. If the hook is bent or straightened then off it comes and on with a new one.