Night Fishing

Summer Night bite ( I am a pro at this one being a former full time pier guy)

With the boat, I try to get out by 6 or 7 pm. if I am fishing with other non dedicated fishers. If I am fishing with one of my full time crew I try to get out by 5 pm to avoid the hastle at the launch.

Now to the nitty gritty. Getting out at 7 I tend to head past the area I want to fish at dark. If I want to be in 70 FOW at sunset I will run out to 120 or so and fish deep working my way back to the water I want. I will start with my normal day program, with not alot of super glows.

Examples would be:

250 copper Watermelon J plug/ Bloody nose mag DW

300 copper MS Silver Flounder

350 copper

DW Green Yellow Target tip

10" Blue silver spin doctor with a BW bushlight fly

8" (Name hot flasher fly combo of the week)

Rigger Double Trouble Moonshine

Rigger Flinstone Monica

5 color Mixed veggie

8 color green dolphin/ Blue Dolphin

About an hour before the sun goes down, out come the moonshines/glow spoons/flashers

250 copper MJ glow MAG

300 Flounder Pounder

350 Blue Flounder

Diver glow/black spin doctor with black/silver glow fly

10" Blue silver spin doctor with a BW bushlight fly

Rigger Double trouble

Rigger DW glow w/ pink dots

5 color Nitro stinger blue berry muffin

8 color Bloody nose DW

Generally you can get the fish the first hour or 2 of dark then I have noticed they will shut off till around midnight.

After midnight the same spread as right before dark. Don't run all glow in the dark they can see just fine;)

This year I will be running Brads cut plugs in the spread as well, they have half glow on the bottom or full glow.

Being a second shifter I take my time getting out of work go home load up the boat and get on the water about 2:30 or 3 and you can clobber them some days.

When fishing kings off the pier our best time use to be from Midnight till 3 am. It was nice to be walking off the pier at 4 with a limit beforeanyone showed up:)

Basic advice out of this ramble is:

The higher the sun is UP the farther DOWN you want to fish.

As the sun goes down your lures should come UP

1/4 of our trips are at due to running doubles, so we fish like we would durring the middle of the day. Deep, when the sun is setting we bring everything up as if we were we fishing the early morning. Its just like the morning just in reverse

Brandon, welcome to the site.

For us the night bite starts as the sun is setting. Put the Moonshine on and head for shallow water. The fish that are laying on the bottom will come up and feed.

I take it a step further. I fish at night off of the breakwalls, surf, and in the rivers. I have caught pike, bass, and walleye while targeting trout and salmon at night. I even venture out onto the ice an hour or so before the sun pops up. The good thing about night fishing is that you don't have to wait to launch your boat. If you are fishing off of a breakwall, pier, or in the river you have first pick of the spots. I would have to say that I catch 70 percent of my fish in total darkness. If you do it enough you can adapt.