Leader material

I have been using flourocarbon leaders on my leadcore setups. I don't have any proof that it works better, but some claim that it does. That being said, I have used regular mono in the past and I know plenty of guys who do. But for the price of a small spool of 20# flouro I figure it's worth a shot.

If you want to use them exclusively as leaders it makes sense to buy it like this. I may be a sucker and like Nick says i have no proof it works better, although it seems like it has made a difference. I don't like knots unless i absolutely have to have them so i have been spooling on nothing but light flouro that has held up well to big late summer kings so i have been using chunks off the big spools for leadcore and copper leaders. Maybe its all propoganda....who really knows if the fish see the line and it ruins their appetite:grin:

I've had different thoughts on fluorocarbon leader lately. My perspective is fluorocarbon has 2 qualities: abrasion resistance and the refractive index is much closer to actual water than mono (IE its invisible).

The leader material is MUCH more abrasion resistant than regular line. This works great in certain applications. It works great for fly leaders where the line might be in the fish's mouth and also I like to use it on crawler harnesses where the line is hitting rock bottom quite a bit. It will hold up MUCH better than regular mono.

For copper/leadcore leaders, I personally don't think the leader material is necessary. If you are running a leader to the swivel and fishing in Lake Michigan (where you are never hitting structure) the abrasion resistance really isn't necessary. If you plan on running into the rigger wire on every fish you might have a benefit... but that doesn't happen too often. One disadvantage to the leader material is that is doesn't stretch much. And with copper and leadcore being quite stiff, the only give you have in the whole setup is the rod.

I think the regular fluorocarbon, not leader material, is a better application for leadcore/copper leaders. It has a little stretch in it and is way cheaper. I've been using Triplefish flourocarbon in the filler spools. I think 200yds of 30lb is 20 bucks and 200yds of 20lb is a bit less.

I still use the leader material (Triplefish leader material) for certain applications like fly leaders and dipsy leaders.

For long lines I do not use leader material. I have always felt that the stiffness of the line would take away from the action of my spoons. I also like the stretch you get with the non leader material. Flies on the other hand always get fluoro leaders.

I run Cabela's 20lb fluorocarbon line for all my leaders on long lines (cores & copper). For leaders between my dipsey and flasher/fly or spoon I use the a heavier, i think 30/40lb leader material. To make/replace fly leaders I use the leader material in 50lb test.

That leader material is too darn expensive in my opinion to be using 10-20 foot for long line leads.

Is it worth while to use line that is labeled leader material for my leaders or would line that is on a bulk spool that I used for my backer work for leaders as well?

The leader material is just a bit stiffer. Buy the bulk flouro and it will treat you just the same.

i do like using floro as leader but i dont spend the extra money for leader floro. i just buy the bigger spools of floro line. but just like lures they arent designed to catch fish, there designed to catch fishermen.LOL. right??

sherman

My .02 is that floro is no joke.

I know a few years back when I went to 100% floro for fishing bait in the surf and rivers my hit rate when up.

I would fish it next to my father in law who said I was full of a bunch of #$% and would outfish him 2-1 using the same spawn and set ups - the floro.

Needless to say he uses the floro now.

I use the 100% floro from Berkley I also have some leaders tied in Gamma that buddy tied for me because he swears by the stuff.

Floro I like

100% Floro by berkley- it comes in the gold box 300 feet for 20 bucks

Gamma - It seems to work, but not worth the price

Floro I don't like

P-line- I could not get good knots or strenght out of it. I know some guys love it.. .not me

Vanish by berkley .... is just garbage.

Has anyone used the Cabalas brand lines or Vicious

http://www.vicious-fishing.com/vicious-fishing-line/pro-elite-fluorocarbon-fishing-line.html

Vanish by berkley .... is just garbage

A buddy of mine fishes out of Muskegon 3-4 times a week, and it seemed every time we went out on the same day, we could be running the same presentations and depths even, he would still out fish us. Finally asked him whats the difference? Vanish Flourocarbon. Started running this for my copper leaders and sliders a few years ago, even started running a 10ft piece of 20lb floro to the base line of my rigger, catch rate doubled two fold. Now it isn't uncommon to outfish him.